Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wel

Default How to save a word document without over-writing the template?

Hi,

can anyone out there, please help me! I would like to create a template that
when you click on 'Save', it will automatically direct you to 'Save As' as a
word document, '.doc' instead of '.dot'. As I don't want it to save on the
template and destroy the template.

Is there a way or some how programming to set this function on a template?

Please help,
wel
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have created a true template (.dot file) and are using it correctly,
this is exactly what you will get. You don't *open* the template; you create
a new document based on it by selecting the template in the File New dialog;
to make this possible, you must save the template in Word's user templates
folder. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm.

"wel" wrote in message
Hi,

can anyone out there, please help me! I would like to create a template

that
when you click on 'Save', it will automatically direct you to 'Save As' as

word document, '.doc' instead of '.dot'. As I don't want it to save on the
template and destroy the template.

Is there a way or some how programming to set this function on a template?

Please help,
wel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jorge@floors

Try this...open the file properties for that file. Check the "read only"
attribute and then "apply". This forces the user to save the file every time
with a new file name. this protects the original from being changed. Hope
this helps.

"wel" wrote:

Hi,

can anyone out there, please help me! I would like to create a template that
when you click on 'Save', it will automatically direct you to 'Save As' as a
word document, '.doc' instead of '.dot'. As I don't want it to save on the
template and destroy the template.

Is there a way or some how programming to set this function on a template?

Please help,
wel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wel

hi Suzanne,

thanks for your link.

"wel" wrote in message
Hi,

can anyone out there, please help me! I would like to create a template

that
when you click on 'Save', it will automatically direct you to 'Save As' as

word document, '.doc' instead of '.dot'. As I don't want it to save on the
template and destroy the template.

Is there a way or some how programming to set this function on a template?

Please help,
wel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wel

hi jorge,

thanks for your great help!

"wel" wrote:

Hi,

can anyone out there, please help me! I would like to create a template that
when you click on 'Save', it will automatically direct you to 'Save As' as a
word document, '.doc' instead of '.dot'. As I don't want it to save on the
template and destroy the template.

Is there a way or some how programming to set this function on a template?

Please help,
wel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jorge@floors

Your welcome. Did it work? Cuz I am a novices novice...I just happen to learn
that "read only" thing that day.

Good luck...Jorge

"wel" wrote:

hi jorge,

thanks for your great help!

"wel" wrote:

Hi,

can anyone out there, please help me! I would like to create a template that
when you click on 'Save', it will automatically direct you to 'Save As' as a
word document, '.doc' instead of '.dot'. As I don't want it to save on the
template and destroy the template.

Is there a way or some how programming to set this function on a template?

Please help,
wel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, although your solution will work, it is not really the correct way to
use a template.

"jorge@floors" wrote in message
Your welcome. Did it work? Cuz I am a novices novice...I just happen to

learn
that "read only" thing that day.

Good luck...Jorge

"wel" wrote:

hi jorge,

thanks for your great help!

"wel" wrote:

Hi,

can anyone out there, please help me! I would like to create a

template that
when you click on 'Save', it will automatically direct you to 'Save

As' as a
word document, '.doc' instead of '.dot'. As I don't want it to save

on the
template and destroy the template.

Is there a way or some how programming to set this function on a

template?

Please help,
wel

Fill-in field prompts Deb McLellan New Users 7 March 13th 06 08:43 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Global Template Question Deb McLellan New Users 6 February 13th 06 03:20 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM