Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Navylovely

Default How come my "Insert" menu doesn't have "Symbol"?

I cannot find the "Symbol" option on my "Insert" menu in Word. I know I have
used this option before, and the Help option tells me this is where "Insert
Special Character" is supposed to be. But I can't find it. In fact, I cannot
find it anywhere. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's a glitch in my version or
something. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

All the way on the right in the insert tab, you might have a big button
that says Symbols from which you can pick Symbol. Or you might just have
a big button Symbol there. It is right to Equations

"Navylovely" wrote in message
:

I cannot find the "Symbol" option on my "Insert" menu in Word. I know I have
used this option before, and the Help option tells me this is where "Insert
Special Character" is supposed to be. But I can't find it. In fact, I cannot
find it anywhere. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's a glitch in my version or
something. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

You might have accidentally removed it. Right-click any toolbar. Select
Customize. Right-click the Insert menu. Select Reset.

"Navylovely" wrote in message
I cannot find the "Symbol" option on my "Insert" menu in Word. I know I
have
used this option before, and the Help option tells me this is where
"Insert
Special Character" is supposed to be. But I can't find it. In fact, I
cannot
find it anywhere. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's a glitch in my version
or
something. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Navylovely

Awesome! Thanks, that's exactly what happened. My laptop doesn't have the Num
- so I guess I can't use the shortcut for the emdash!

Thanks much!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htm for an explanation.

"Navylovely" wrote in message
I cannot find the "Symbol" option on my "Insert" menu in Word. I know I

have
used this option before, and the Help option tells me this is where

"Insert
Special Character" is supposed to be. But I can't find it. In fact, I

cannot
find it anywhere. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's a glitch in my version

or
something. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

Opps. Thanks for pointing out my mistake!
I totally didn't see the word "menu".

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not very familiar with how laptops work. I know there is usually a
function key you can use to convert some of the letter keys to function as a
numeric keypad when you need to input a lot of numbers, but that's not very
practical for just an occcasional keypad key, and you'd need to use that
even to use the Alt+0151 shortcut. If you can remember the Unicode number
(and have Word 2000 or above), you can type 2014 and then press Alt+X, but
if you use an em dash as often as I do, you'd probably prefer to have a
usable keyboard shortcut (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...roToHotkey.htm). I use
Ctrl+M, but I would advise Ctrl+Shift+M (which was my first choice years ago
when I first assigned it, but at the time that shortcut was assigned to a
higher-level command in another application). I have Ctrl+Shift+N for an en
dash and Ctrl+Alt+M and Ctrl+Alt+N for em and en spaces.

You do realize, too, don't you, that, if you have the appropriate AutoFormat
As You Type option enabled, Word will convert two hyphens to an em dash
automatically? For more on all this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htm for an

explanation.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Navylovely" wrote in message
I cannot find the "Symbol" option on my "Insert" menu in Word. I know

have
used this option before, and the Help option tells me this is where

"Insert
Special Character" is supposed to be. But I can't find it. In fact, I

cannot
find it anywhere. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's a glitch in my

version
or
something. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Navylovely

Looking at it now, I see you're right. There is a function key that changes
some of the keys on the regular keyboard into the keypad. So in order to do
an emdash I have to hit Ctrl+Fn+Alt+P (the - sign).
And I did know that Word will automatically convert two hyphens betweeen
words (no space) to an emdash.
Thanks for all your help!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htm for an

explanation.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Navylovely" wrote in message
I cannot find the "Symbol" option on my "Insert" menu in Word. I know

have
used this option before, and the Help option tells me this is where
"Insert
Special Character" is supposed to be. But I can't find it. In fact, I
cannot
find it anywhere. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's a glitch in my

version
or
something. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can try this EnergyKey
http://www30.webSamba.com/SmartStudio
This may be help you.
Now I always use EnergyKey, it helps me so much in my work.