Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ale Ale is offline

Default How do I create a link to a reference in a word document?

I'm writing a thesis at the moment and would like to use captions or
cross-references to insert a "[#]" on my text that would link directly to the
list of references. I've tried using insert-cross-reference-bookmark and
could not make it work, I also tried adding captions and didn't work either.
I've seen a thesis from another student where, if I toggle the fields show:

for the inserts in the main text:
{ REF _Ref113072077 \*MERGEFORMAT }

for the list of references:
{ SEQ Reference \* ARABIC }

can someone help me? can you list the steps I need to take? is this supposed
to be done as a cross-reference - bookmark or as a caption?

Thanks,

Ale

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Ale,

I think you want to follow the instructions here, more or less:

#6: Endnotes in Alphabetical Order
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/footnotefaq.htm

And while setting up the cross-references, be sure to check the "insert as
hyperlink" box.

The fields you offer sound like the result of that process.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Ale

You have several options here, and you'll need to work out which is the best
for your purposes.

For this purpose, one way to proceed is with a bookmark. Type the text of
your reference in the list of references (presumably at the end of the
document). Select some or all of the reference you've just typed. Do Insert
Bookmark and give it a helpful name (eg Smith_History).

Now, you have two ways to create a link to the bookmark.

The first is to use a cross reference. Click where you want the clickable
link, and do Insert Reference Cross Reference. In the Reference Type
box, choose Bookmark. And in the "Insert Reference To" box, choose the text
you want to appear. That text will be clickable and take you to your
bookmarked reference.

The second way to link to the bookmark is to use a hyperlink. Type the [#]
and select it. Insert Hyperlink. In the left hand panel, click "Place in
this Document". Choose your bookmark and click OK.

Alternatively, you could use the caption functionality instead of bookmarks
(and I suspect this is what you need).

The caption functionality is designed to add captions to tables, figures,
equations and the like, with a caption such as "Table 1" to which you can
add "Population of China" or some such. The caption functionality creates
fields like { SEQ Reference \* ARABIC }.

You can also add a field like that manually (do ctrl-F9 and then type
between the braces that Word gives you). However (and this is where you may
have run into trouble), you will only be able to create a cross-reference to
these numbers if you do Insert Reference Caption, click the New Label
button and create the "Reference" label.

If you create a new Label in that way, you can then create a clickable link
to your Reference caption using Insert Reference Cross-reference, where
you'll now see your Reference label listed as one of the things to which you
can refer.

None of this is as complicated as I've made it seem!

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Ale" wrote in message
I'm writing a thesis at the moment and would like to use captions or
cross-references to insert a "[#]" on my text that would link directly to
the
list of references. I've tried using insert-cross-reference-bookmark and
could not make it work, I also tried adding captions and didn't work
either.
I've seen a thesis from another student where, if I toggle the fields
show:

for the inserts in the main text:
{ REF _Ref113072077 \*MERGEFORMAT }

for the list of references:
{ SEQ Reference \* ARABIC }

can someone help me? can you list the steps I need to take? is this
supposed
to be done as a cross-reference - bookmark or as a caption?

Thanks,

Ale

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ale Ale is offline

Thank you so much! that's exactly what I was looking for!!! and indeed is not
too complicated.

many thanks again,

Alessandra

"Ale" wrote in message
I'm writing a thesis at the moment and would like to use captions or
cross-references to insert a "[#]" on my text that would link directly to
the
list of references. I've tried using insert-cross-reference-bookmark and
could not make it work, I also tried adding captions and didn't work
either.
I've seen a thesis from another student where, if I toggle the fields
show:

for the inserts in the main text:
{ REF _Ref113072077 \*MERGEFORMAT }

for the list of references:
{ SEQ Reference \* ARABIC }

can someone help me? can you list the steps I need to take? is this
supposed
to be done as a cross-reference - bookmark or as a caption?

Thanks,

Ale

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Alessandra

I'm glad it worked.

Shauna

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

[#]

"Ale" wrote in message
I'm writing a thesis at the moment and would like to use captions or
cross-references to insert a "[#]" on my text that would link directly
list of references. I've tried using insert-cross-reference-bookmark
and
could not make it work, I also tried adding captions and didn't work
either.
I've seen a thesis from another student where, if I toggle the fields
show:

for the inserts in the main text:
{ REF _Ref113072077 \*MERGEFORMAT }

for the list of references:
{ SEQ Reference \* ARABIC }

can someone help me? can you list the steps I need to take? is this
supposed
to be done as a cross-reference - bookmark or as a caption?

Thanks,

Ale

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristoffer Kristoffer is offline

Hi

I was just looking for excatcly the same way of doing citations.
I have tried to follow the instructions, but when I make a cross reference
to the new label I have created, the entire text of the paragraph in which
the reference is made goes with the cross reference. How can I prevent this?

Kristoffer