Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Matt D Matt D is offline

Default Change Multilevel List Numbering Style

So I started creating a document using the multilevel list to number my
headings. When I started the document all of the headings were left aligned.
Now I have been asked by my boss to change the format to make them indented
as the subsections get lower and lower in the levels. Something like this
1.
1.1.
1.2.
1.2.1.
etc.
Is there an easy way to change formatting for all of the headers? There is
a style already included in Word 2007 that is what I want, I just can get it
to apply to all of the headings at once.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Matt D was telling us:
Matt D nous racontait que :

So I started creating a document using the multilevel list to number
my headings. When I started the document all of the headings were
left aligned. Now I have been asked by my boss to change the format
to make them indented as the subsections get lower and lower in the
levels. Something like this 1.
1.1.
1.2.
1.2.1.
etc.
Is there an easy way to change formatting for all of the headers?
There is a style already included in Word 2007 that is what I want, I
just can get it to apply to all of the headings at once.

Did you use styles for each level?

I any case, make sure you read this page before using Outline Numbering, it
is a must!
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

In the define new multilevel list dialog there's a "Set for all levels"
button. Click that button and the resulting dialog allows you to set the
bullet/number position and the text position for the first level and the
additional indent for each subsequent level. This is new for W2007.

Pam

Matt D wrote:
So I started creating a document using the multilevel list to number my
headings. When I started the document all of the headings were left aligned.
Now I have been asked by my boss to change the format to make them indented
as the subsections get lower and lower in the levels. Something like this
1.
1.1.
1.2.
1.2.1.
etc.
Is there an easy way to change formatting for all of the headers? There is
a style already included in Word 2007 that is what I want, I just can get it
to apply to all of the headings at once.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Matt D Matt D is offline

Thanks. That was some help but I'm still not quite there yet. I did you use
styles for all of the headings. I think what I am not trying to do is change
the numbering style for all of those headings at once.

The web page you referenced is really written for Word 2003 and older. It's
much harder to follow for word 2007 as the fromatting otions have changed
quite a bit in the new UI.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Matt D was telling us:
Matt D nous racontait que :

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Matt D was telling us:
Matt D nous racontait que :

Thanks. That was some help but I'm still not quite there yet. I did
you use styles for all of the headings. I think what I am not trying
to do is change the numbering style for all of those headings at once.

The web page you referenced is really written for Word 2003 and
older. It's much harder to follow for word 2007 as the fromatting
otions have changed quite a bit in the new UI.

Did Pamelia's tip (For Word 2007) prove to be useful or not?

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Matt D Matt D is offline

Not really. I don't want to define a new multi-level list. I want to use one
that word already has defined. No sense in redoing what is already there.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Matt D was telling us:
Matt D nous racontait que :

Thanks. That was some help but I'm still not quite there yet. I did
you use styles for all of the headings. I think what I am not trying
to do is change the numbering style for all of those headings at once.

The web page you referenced is really written for Word 2003 and
older. It's much harder to follow for word 2007 as the fromatting
otions have changed quite a bit in the new UI.

Did Pamelia's tip (For Word 2007) prove to be useful or not?

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil
Montreal, Canada

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Unless you created a list style, Define New Multilevel List *is* the way to
modify an existing list. Place the insertion point in the first top-level
item of your list (for heading numbering, this means the first Heading 1
paragraph of your document). Then click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define
New Multilevel List.

If you have created a list style, you can modify it via the Manage Styles
dialog box: In the Styles pane, click Manage Styles. On the Edit tab, locate
your style, and click Modify. You will get access to all aspects of
numbering if you click Format and then Numbering.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Matt D" wrote in message
Not really. I don't want to define a new multi-level list. I want to use
one
that word already has defined. No sense in redoing what is already there.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Matt D was telling us:
Matt D nous racontait que :

Thanks. That was some help but I'm still not quite there yet. I did
you use styles for all of the headings. I think what I am not trying
to do is change the numbering style for all of those headings at once.

The web page you referenced is really written for Word 2003 and
older. It's much harder to follow for word 2007 as the fromatting
otions have changed quite a bit in the new UI.

Did Pamelia's tip (For Word 2007) prove to be useful or not?

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil
Montreal, Canada

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Matt D Matt D is offline

Ok, if that is what I have to do then I guess that is what I have to. I
guess MS has their head where the sun don't shine on this issue. Either that
or I don't understand the intracies of this issue.

Thanks

"Matt D" wrote in message
Not really. I don't want to define a new multi-level list. I want to use
one
that word already has defined. No sense in redoing what is already there.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Matt D was telling us:
Matt D nous racontait que :

Thanks. That was some help but I'm still not quite there yet. I did
you use styles for all of the headings. I think what I am not trying
to do is change the numbering style for all of those headings at once.

The web page you referenced is really written for Word 2003 and
older. It's much harder to follow for word 2007 as the fromatting
otions have changed quite a bit in the new UI.

Did Pamelia's tip (For Word 2007) prove to be useful or not?

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil
Montreal, Canada

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It is. No one says it is logical, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Matt D" wrote in message
Not really. I don't want to define a new multi-level list. I want to
use
one
that word already has defined. No sense in redoing what is already
there.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Matt D was telling us:
Matt D nous racontait que :

Thanks. That was some help but I'm still not quite there yet. I
did
you use styles for all of the headings. I think what I am not
trying
to do is change the numbering style for all of those headings at
once.

The web page you referenced is really written for Word 2003 and
older. It's much harder to follow for word 2007 as the fromatting
otions have changed quite a bit in the new UI.

Did Pamelia's tip (For Word 2007) prove to be useful or not?

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil
Montreal, Canada

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

I had the same thought when I first saw "Define new list". I didn't want to
create a new list!! One of my old postings here said that, I think. But ...

In previous versions the button said "Customize", and many of us thought we
were modifying our outline lists. But that was not so. Whenever we
customized an outline list, Word made a new one. I've read many rants
criticizing MS about this in various Word forums over the past 7 years. So
the situation is not really unknown. I think MS now wants to make it very
clear that any change to a " multilevel list" creates a new one because that
is one of the main differences between multilevel lists and list styles.

So bite the bullet, create a new list.

Pam

Matt D wrote:
Ok, if that is what I have to do then I guess that is what I have to. I
guess MS has their head where the sun don't shine on this issue. Either that
or I don't understand the intracies of this issue.

Thanks

Unless you created a list style, Define New Multilevel List *is* the way to
modify an existing list. Place the insertion point in the first top-level

[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]

Did Pamelia's tip (For Word 2007) prove to be useful or not?