binar01011 binar01011 is offline
Junior Member

Default "- Continued" text with Field Code?

Fellow Forum Members,
I have a 500 page Word 2007 document with a 10 page Table of Contents (TOC). For the first page of the TOC my Boss wants to see this for the first page of the TOC Title:

"TABLE OF CONTENTS"

However, for page 2 through 10 he wants to see this:

"TABLE OF CONTENTS - Continued"

My question to anyone out there. Can the "- Continued" text be generated by using a FIELD CODE that will be smart enough not show "- Continued" text in the first page of a TOC title but show it for all of the other pages that follow the first page?

Same thing for Table captions. Can a FIELD CODE be inserted at the end of the Table Caption for the first page of the Table, but then for the second page of the same table it automatically generates the "- Continued" text?

It would be nice if such a field code was already included has part of Word 2007, but I haven't been able to find one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For the table of contents, you can do the following: Place the TOC in a
separate section and enable the "Different first page" option in the Page
Setup dialog box. Type in "Table of Contents" in the first page header; in
the main header, type in "Table of Contents - Continued."

For the table of figures, you can do exactly the same.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"binar01011" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What she wants for the second problem is a Continuation marker in the
caption of a table that goes to a second page -- I know how to do it
for continued footnotes, and it's pretty likely that there's a way to
do it in the Captions dialog (ISTR the rare times that I've had a two-
page table tha the caption does repeat).

On Jan 20, 7:10*pm, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
[...]

Peter,
I fired up my MicroSoft Word 2007 and analyzed the CAPTION Dialog window. I honestly can't figure out where inside this dialog window I could setup the "- Continued" text so that it appears starting on the second page of a table.

As for the TOC "- Continued" isn't there a way to use a FIELD code? I understand the method Stephan is explaining, but I want to avoid using Section Breaks. The reason is because they tend to cause a problem when I convert the document over to a PDF. Acrobat sometimes generates needles blank pages because of Section Breaks used in WORD. There for, my goal is to use a FIELD CODE. I would very grateful if anyone out there could help me in figuring out how if a FIELD CODE could be designed to automatically generate the "- Continued" text as required in either a Table Caption or a TOC Title Header. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, there are no field codes that can add "continued" to the TOC.

To prevent a section break from adding pages, make sure that you choose the

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"binar01011" skrev i meddelandet

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A workaround is required for the table captions as well. It's a bit
convoluted, but it can be done...

Assuming that you have your caption above the table, you can put it in a row
(without borders) and enable the "Repeat as header row at the top of each
page" option in the Table Properties dialog box. Merge the cells in that row
and type in the caption, adding the word "continued." On the first page, add
a white graphic to cover the word. Make sure to anchor the graphic outside
of the heading row (otherwise the graphic will be repeated, which we
obviously want to avoid).

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Non-helpful answer: my very first version of Word -- 5.0 for Mac --
actually came with a thick manual, and in the back was a many-page
guide to "programming" field codes, and field codes haven't changed
since way back then -- but I haven't been able to find that book in
years, thanks to 3 moves in between. (The same information seems to
have become scattered throughout on-line help, but they make it almost
impossible to access.) Once in a while I look through the aftermarket
Word manuals in the store, and none of them deal with field codes.