Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
homeologica

Default Troublesome Styleref fields in headings

Headings in a 2-columns document includes {StyleRef DefinedField} and
{StyleRef DefinedField \l}.

Sometimes this fields appear empty existing styled words in the document.
Sometimes both fields appears as right justified.

I must writte invisible (white) some styled words are in order to show it in
heading.

What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Alejandro Fernandez

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

"homeologica" wrote in message
Headings in a 2-columns document includes {StyleRef DefinedField}
and
{StyleRef DefinedField \l}.

I suppose you are referring to *headers* (the space at the top of each
page intended for repeating contents on every page)?

Sometimes this fields appear empty existing styled words in the
document.

Are you using blank paragraphs to create spacing in your document?
Then you could occassionally get an empty field, because it tries to
reference a paragraph with no text in it. The fix is to remove the
blank paragraph and add Spacing Before and/or After as required (this
formatting is found on the Indents and Spacing tab of
FormatParagraph).

Sometimes both fields appears as right justified.

How did you insert the fields in the header? Are they separated by a
tab character? If so, you may experience difficulties if/when the
referenced text is long (so that it doesn't fit on a single line of
text). To avoid this problem, either place the fields in separate
paragraphs (which may not look so good) or put them in separate cells
of a two-column border-less table.

I must writte invisible (white) some styled words are in order to
show it in
heading.

I don't understand this...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
jay m

You mean that in the body of the document, you put text to be
referenced in the header, but format it with font color 'white' so it
is only seen in the header?
I only have Word XP here, and the character formatting doesn't carry
through to the header.
Even when I define a character style with font color = white, the
header styleref text is visible.
What versions of Wierd and Windoze do you have?
As Stefan wrote, make sure that you don't have any empty paragraphs
tagged with the referenced style.
Regards
Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
homeologica

Thanks Stefan and Jay. As you said I had empty paragraphs.

Alejandro

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP