Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LikeRobin LikeRobin is offline

Default How do I insert a number line graph into an MS Word document?

(X-posted from Drawing and Graphics)
I am writing a math test. I have the equation editor to insert equations into
my MS Word document. Now, though, I want to insert a number line. Other than
drawing it in the drawing editor, is there a way to plug in values into Excel
and generate a number line graph?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I insert a number line graph into an MS Word document?

Yes, you can easily insert a number line graph into your MS Word document by using Microsoft Excel. Here are the steps to follow:
  1. Open Microsoft Excel and enter the values you want to plot on the number line in a single column.
  2. Highlight the column of values and click on the "Insert" tab in the top menu.
  3. Click on the "Line" chart type and select the first option under "2-D Line" to create a basic line graph.
  4. Customize the graph as desired by adding axis labels, changing the colors, etc.
  5. Once you are satisfied with the graph, click on the "File" tab and select "Save As".
  6. Choose a location to save the file and select "PDF" as the file type.
  7. Open your MS Word document and place the cursor where you want to insert the graph.
  8. Click on the "Insert" tab in the top menu and select "Object" from the "Text" section.
  9. In the "Object" window, select "Create from File" and click on "Browse" to locate the PDF file you just saved.
  10. Select the file and click on "Insert".
  11. The number line graph will now be inserted into your MS Word document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article ,
says...
Thanks so much for this response. I'll go take a look, but what I'm wanting
is a single line like at
http://hotmath.com/images/gt/lessons...umber_line.gif

Can I generate that?

I think you'll have to draw that manually.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LikeRobin LikeRobin is offline

Thanks.

I can definitely do it - it's just fiddly. If there were an easy way of
doing it - I would have loved to make use of it.

LikeRobin

"Peter A" wrote:

In article ,
says...
Thanks so much for this response. I'll go take a look, but what I'm wanting
is a single line like at
http://hotmath.com/images/gt/lessons...umber_line.gif

Can I generate that?

I think you'll have to draw that manually.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
www.tech-word.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

We have an AppNote (i.e., a tutorial) on our website showing how to do
it with Equation Editor. MathType is better for it, because you can
save the number lines to MathType's toolbar to re-use, but everything
in the AppNote (except for the first pictogram with the bells and
airplanes) is possible with Equation Editor.

http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mat...ts/default.htm

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

"Peter A" wrote:

In article says...
I am writing a math test. I have the equation editor to insert
equations into my MS Word document. Now, though, I want
to insert a number line. Other than drawing it in the drawing
editor, is there a way to plug in values into Excel
and generate a number line graph?

Just use the Microsoft Graph object (Insert, Object, MS
Graph object). You get a basic spreadsheet for your values
and a chart with reasonable, if not extensive, customization
options.