Vikash Vikash is offline
Junior Member

Default Problem with footnote. Help needed

I am editing my document for a journal submission. They require footnote style as follows:
Number format: †, ‡, ....
Numbering: Restart at each page

The problem is that the required 'number format' starts with (*, †, ‡, ...) I can do a 'start at' at (†). But the moment I do so 'numbering' changes to (continuous) automatically. And the moment I change 'numbering' again to (Restart at each page), 'start at' changes back to (*)

Just needed some help on this. To restate I need:

Number format: *, †, ‡, ....
Start at: †
Numbering: Restart at each page

(.) and '.' indicate inbuilt word option. I am using MS word 2007. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The only built-in "symbol format" is "*, †, ‡,..." If you want a different
sequence of symbols, you will have to insert them manually via the Footnote
and Endnote dialog box, each time you are adding a note.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vikash" wrote in message

I am editing my document for a journal submission. They require footnote
style as follows:
Number format: †, ‡, ....
Numbering: Restart at each page

The problem is that the required 'number format' starts with (*, †, ‡,
..) I can do a 'start at' at (†). But the moment I do so 'numbering'
changes to (continuous) automatically. And the moment I change
'numbering' again to (Restart at each page), 'start at' changes back to
(*)

Just needed some help on this. To restate I need:

Number format: *, †, ‡, ....
Start at: †
Numbering: Restart at each page

(.) and '.' indicate inbuilt word option. I am using MS word 2007.
Thanks

--
Vikash

Vikash Vikash is offline
Junior Member

Thanks Stefan. If this is the only way out, its going to tax me lot of time as there is a lot to do. Anyways, I should get going.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to the InsertFootnote command; this will
make the procedure a bit quicker. To do so, make use of the Customize
Keyboard dialog box.

To display the dialog box in Word 2007, click Office button | Word Options |
Quick Access Toolbar | Customize.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vikash" wrote in message

Thanks Stefan. If this is the only way out, its going to tax me lot of
time as there is a lot to do. Anyways, I should get going.

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;495257']The only built-in "symbol format" is "*, †, ‡,..." If you want
a different
sequence of symbols, you will have to insert them manually via the
Footnote
and Endnote dialog box, each time you are adding a note.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vikash" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ctrl+Alt+F inserts the currently selected automatic format, yes. If you want
to create a custom sequence of symbols, you must revisit the Footnote and
Endnote dialog box for each new insertion. As far as I know, there is no
shortcut assigned to the dialog box by default.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:

;495257']The only built-in "symbol format" is "*, �, �,..." If you
want
a different
sequence of symbols, you will have to insert them manually via the
Footnote
and Endnote dialog box, each time you are adding a note.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In other words, if Ctrl+Alt+F displays the dialog box in your version of
Word, you must have customized the shortcut. Or, if you are using an older
version, maybe the assignment has changed...
--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP