feenyman99 feenyman99 is offline
Junior Member

Default Can't get Extend Selection and Find to work.

I am using Word 2010. I am trying to use Extend Selection Mode and Find, to select the text between my current cursor location and a particular text string, but I cannot get it to work. I'm probably missing something simple.

Here is what happens...

I press F8 to enter Extend Selection Mode. (To test, I move the cursor at this point with the arrow keys, the correct text IS selected as expected, so i know that Extend Selection Mode is on.)

Now I execute a Find (either via Ctrl-F, or via "Find" on the Home tab of the ribbon), and I enter the find string, and go to the first match.

The matching text is now selected, but THE TEXT BETWEEN MY STARTING POINT AND THE MATCHING TEXT IS NOT SELECTED.

Where am i going wrong?

Thx,
feenyman99
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's not clear what you want to do, but it seems simple: unless you
do a Ctrl-Drag, Word can only have one bit of selected text at a time.
When you use Find, you've told it to drop the selection of the whole
paragraph or whatever, and select only the item you asked it to Find.

If you do a Find-Replace with text selected, it will Replace all the
stuff in the selected portion. But if you just want to Find all the
items included within the selected area, try the "Find In" button
on the Find panel and choose "Current Selection."

BTW I never use F8 -- I just click-and-drag to select a passage of text.

On Friday, June 20, 2014 10:17:10 PM UTC-4, feenyman99 wrote:
I am using Word 2010. I am trying to use Extend Selection Mode and
Find, to select the text between my current cursor location and a
particular text string, but I cannot get it to work. I'm probably
missing something simple.
Here is what happens...
I press F8 to enter Extend Selection Mode. (To test, I move the cursor
at this point with the arrow keys, the correct text IS selected as
expected, so i know that Extend Selection Mode is on.)
Now I execute a Find (either via Ctrl-F, or via "Find" on the Home tab
of the ribbon), and I enter the find string, and go to the first match.
The matching text is now selected, but THE TEXT BETWEEN MY STARTING
POINT AND THE MATCHING TEXT IS NOT SELECTED.
Where am i going wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't think you can use Extend Selection like that. Can you explain what
you are trying to achieve? Then perhaps someone may suggest a different
approach.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"feenyman99" wrote in message

[...]

Is "extend selection" mode supposed to work across embedded objectsin Word 2010? [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 6 January 20th 14 03:28 PM
How to extend selection to a particular word / And Using word coun removing all headers and footers[_2_] Microsoft Word Help 4 July 23rd 09 11:00 PM
Find and replace within a selection jp Microsoft Word Help 3 August 7th 08 09:40 AM
Extend selection? fscodave New Users 2 September 5th 06 02:38 PM
limit formatting to a selection of styles does not work [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 1 December 19th 05 08:27 PM