Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara Barbara is offline

Default How can I safely put "outline numbered" bullet styles back togethe

scrupulously followed Shauna Kelly's excellent instructions
(http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html) to create
paragraph styles List Bullet 1 through List Bullet 5, including the part
about choosing the far upper right position in the list gallery for the
setup. Everything was fine for months. But no more.

I am using Word 2000. These styles are part of a workgroup template. I am in
charge of this template. I can get special dispensation from my corporation
to install Word 2003. I am working on the paperwork for that now.

Last week I opened a document that uses this template, only to discover that
every paragraph tagged with one of the List Bullet styles was now
sequentially numbered. (The documents are set to automatically update their
styles from the template. I am aware of the dangers. But in this situation it
is the right thing to do.) Another
document retained the phantom tabs and the appropriate indents but had no
bullet characters. A document opened in Word 2003 had bullet characters, but
every paragraph with a List Bullet style was indented 2 inches instead of 0,
0.25, 0.5, etc.

If I click one of these bulleted paragraphs and choose Format Bullets and
Numbering, I see that the selected gallery position is now the lower left
instead of the upper left.

Clearly I need to repair the template.

Here are my questions.
1. Will these styles be more stable if I use Word 2003 instead of Word 2000
to define them?
2. Do I need to recreate the template from scratch, or can I start with a
version that has no autonumbered styles in it and rebuild those styles?
3. I suspect that the cause of this corruption was a document based on this
template in which a colleague had clicked the bullet icon instead of
assigning a List Bullet style. (Well, really the cause was Microsoft's code,
but I have no control over that.) What do I need to do with that document (or
with its content) to make sure that it can never again affect the List Bullet
styles?
4. What do I need to do with the other documents that use this template?
Will it be enough to open them and save them with the recreated template?

Thanks!
--
Barbara Hill