Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Todd M. Taylor[_2_] Todd M. Taylor[_2_] is offline

Default Use Case Template w/ Auto-Numbering?

Has anyone created a Word document template for writing use cases that
automates the number of steps?

There are a few dedicated programs on the market for writing use cases but
they all cost ~$500 per user.

I started creating my own template that uses a number outline to auto-number
steps, and then I add "references" to the auto-numbered fields when
appropriate so I can be assured that all references are auto-updated when the
step orders change.

However, the problem I have (as I'm sure most people have with writing use
cases in Word) is that the alternate path steps sometimes skip numbers. For
example, a use case might have alternates 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and then skip to 2.0
(instead of having 1.1 through 1.9). It seems like I need a wait to force
the top-level number to increment to the next level.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can use LISTNUM fields to set a starting number in a list. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tbylistnum.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Todd M. Taylor" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Todd M. Taylor[_2_] Todd M. Taylor[_2_] is offline

Thanks, Stefan! I'll have to do some playing around to figure-out how to get
this LISTNUM thing to work, but it sounds like the solution I'm looking for.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Reading your initial message again, I'd suggest that you use an
outline/multilevel list to set this up. Then switching from 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 to
2.0 would be a matter of applying a higher numbering level. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. Then you
can use the article to which I linked if you need to restart the top-level
of the list.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Todd M. Taylor" wrote in message
Thanks, Stefan! I'll have to do some playing around to figure-out how to
get
this LISTNUM thing to work, but it sounds like the solution I'm looking
for.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Todd M. Taylor[_2_] Todd M. Taylor[_2_] is offline

My current template actually does use Shauna Kelly's "numbered headings"
already, I was just having problems manually setting the top level numbers.
I think I've discovered a work-around that works 'good-enough' for now.

Thanks again!