ArtWorker

Default Srange paging behavior due to image size

Using Word 2002 on an HP box, I'm updating user manuals of some hundreds of
pages each. I've had to add screenshots and text, which means TOC updates
every so often. My hyperlinks all worked correctly, but if I wished to print
a page (or a series of them), their sequence was off by 1. For example, I saw
the link for BILLING on page 270 in my TOC. I clicked on the link and went to
page 270. I saw the page number, 270, in the footer. Then I ALT-F P and
tried to print page 270 as a single page. What I *got* is page 271, but with
"page 270" in the footer. HOWEVER -- if I used the "Print current page"
option in the print window, what I got was page 270 with "page 269" in the
footer.

This made me nuts for a while because I couldn't figure out what was wrong.
So I began tracing the problem backwards. A process of elimination proved
that all the manual pages before page 231 were fine, in that they did not
exhibit this anomalous numbering problem. Sure enough, I had a screenshot on
page 231 that Word *sometimes* thought was on page 231, and sometimes on page
232. The problem was that the image was just the exact wrong size. On screen
it appeared on page 231, but when I asked for it to be printed, Word became
addled and moved the virtual shot to page 232, but put "page 231" in the
footer -- while leaving the image itself on page 231, and printing 232.

Don't you just love it. Anyway, if anyone else out there has page numbering
problems in docs with lots of pictures, be careful. It might well be an issue
of image size on the virtual page versus that on a printed page.

Werd. (As opposed to Word.)