urbanista

Default thumbnail page view

Ever since I made my last upgrade, a thumbnail view of all the pages appears
to the left of my page in Word whenever I open a file or change the view
(from print preview to page view, from page view to normal view). This is
driving me CRAZY because I have some really large graphics that take about 25
seconds to redraw in the thumbnails every time I switch! I can turn off the
thumbnails temporarily once I'm in a view (and have waited my 25 seconds) but
I want them off, off, off, all the time, automatically when I open files and
automatically off when I change my view. Please help!
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Have you checked the setting for View=Thumbnails in Word 2003?

=======
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

urbanista

To clarify - I need some way to turn off the **default** to open thumbnails.
I have to look at different views of my documents occasionally (and re-open
them) and I want the default setting to be thumbnails=off. Right now the
thumbnails turn back on every time I change views, even though I can turn
them off temporarily using the method suggested below.

thanks!
U.

"urbanista" wrote:

Ever since I made my last upgrade, a thumbnail view of all the pages appears
to the left of my page in Word whenever I open a file or change the view
(from print preview to page view, from page view to normal view). This is
driving me CRAZY because I have some really large graphics that take about 25
seconds to redraw in the thumbnails every time I switch! I can turn off the
thumbnails temporarily once I'm in a view (and have waited my 25 seconds) but
I want them off, off, off, all the time, automatically when I open files and
automatically off when I change my view. Please help!

CyberTaz

Now I have a better idea what you're dealing with.

The Thumbnail View is _not_ document specific, so if you turn it off, it
should stay off regardless of what file you open. You should only have to
make sure it is off when you Exit from Word and it shouldn't be active when
you relaunch.

If it isn't working that way, the first remedy I'd try is to have a document
open with the Thumbnails off, then go to ToolsCustomize--Toolbars, click on
the name Menu Bar, then click the Reset Button & confirm YES to update.

HTH |:)

"urbanista" wrote:

Ever since I made my last upgrade, a thumbnail view of all the pages appears
to the left of my page in Word whenever I open a file or change the view
(from print preview to page view, from page view to normal view). This is
driving me CRAZY because I have some really large graphics that take about 25
seconds to redraw in the thumbnails every time I switch! I can turn off the
thumbnails temporarily once I'm in a view (and have waited my 25 seconds) but
I want them off, off, off, all the time, automatically when I open files and
automatically off when I change my view. Please help!

Tom K.

I am having the exact same problem. As of today (8/26/05), every time I
change my view in Word, it turns on the Thumbnail display. While I can turn
off the Thumbnail display from the View pull-down menu, I never want
Thumbnails to turn on to begin with.

Deleting Normal.dot has no effect nor does resetting the toolbars.

$*^@*@!(! Microsft!