Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mary Ann Mary Ann is offline

Default Emailmerge Word XP and Outlook Express €“ Where do they go?

I am submitting this question on behalf of a colleague.

When my collegue does the email merge all seems to go well and at the final
step she can see the wizard running through all the records but when she
looks in Outlook Express the messages are not in the Sent, Outbox or Drafts
folder.

Where have they been stored and how can she be sure the messages have been
sent?

She did the emailmerge using the Mailmerge Wizard in Word XP. Her
datasource is a Word table and it includes an email field. Her default email
client is Outlook Express.

She has a stand alone PC, on broadband, with no other profiles set up. She
does use several email addresses.

She has looked in Outlook just in case but they are not there either.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

That's a very good question and I wish I knew the answer. However, no-one
else seems to know so here goes...

I get the impression that you may already have read the suggestions in this
group about this kind of problem as you (or your colleague) have already
done many of the things I would normally suggest. However, here they are
again...

Assuming you also have Outlook Express on your system, try this:
a. close Outlook
b. look at Internet Explorer|Tools|Internet Options|Programs
c. if you have a choice of Outlook and Outlook Express, try changing
the default Mail program to Outlook Express.
d. if possible, open Outlook Express and use it to send an email (not a
merge to HTML - it won't work), then
close it. However, since you typically have to set up an account to use
Outlook Express, that can
be a slog.
e. change the default Mail program back to Outlook.

See if that makes any difference.

"Disappearing emails" is occasionally reported but there seems to be no
single obvious reason for it, so if you do discover the reason in your case
it would be helpful if you could post back. Some things to look at and/or
try:
a. is Outlook the default Mail program (IE Tools|Internet Options|programs)
?
b. Check Outlook Tools|Options|Other|"Advanced options"|"Enable mail
logging (troubleshooting)". Then restart.
c. if you have a COM Addin called bxAutoZip (see Outlook
Tools|Options|Other|"Advanced Options"|"COM Addins") disable it temporarily.
(If you have other addins and disabling them will do no harm, I'd do that
too).
d. make sure you know where your .pst file is, make a backup copy, and run
the SCANPST.EXE utility - on my system it's in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 )
e. ensure you only have one mail profile (Control Panel|Mail|Show
Profiles)
f. recreate your Outlook profile (I don't have a good set of instructions
for that right now)

Could this problem be related to a specific update? (i.e. did it ever
work, and if so, when did it stop working?)

Peter Jamieson

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Assuming you also have Outlook Express on your system, try this:
a. close Outlook

In your colleagues case this part needs to read the other way around, i.e.
switch the default emailer from Outlook Express and back.

Peter Jamieson