vgardner

Default Page numbers

I have a title page, table of contents page, and then my paper starts on the
third page. I made sure to create a new section on the third page because
that is where I want the page numbers to begin. I asked for page numbers to
start at 1 and I made sure that I unchecked the "same as previous" option in
the footer. However, after all this, the new section starts with page 2, not
page 1 as I asked. Can anyone advise as to what I am doing wrong?
Daiya Mitchell

Might you have inserted an Even Page Section Break? That would force the
numbering to start with an even number.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

I'm not clear on how you can figure out how to do that at the end of a
document, but not at the beginning. It's the same process either way,
requiring the same knowledge about Word, seems to me. (Separate document,
now, that eliminates the need to deal with breaks, I used to have all my
title pages in separate files)

On 11/4/05 5:34 PM, "pameluh" wrote:

Hi

Numbering pages can be a real pain in the a** with Word sometimes. When I
have a title page and table of contents, I just cut and paste them to the end
of the document, insert a break between the last page of my document and the
title page and then remove the footer from the title page and table of
contents. Many law firms do this also. When they print the document, they
just manually put the title page and table of contents on top. If you're
just going to print it (like for a report or something), this might be a good
solution as opposed to trying to deal with page/section breaks, etc. as that
can get frustrating.

Hope this is helpful!

Pamela

"vgardner" wrote:

I have a title page, table of contents page, and then my paper starts on the
third page. I made sure to create a new section on the third page because
that is where I want the page numbers to begin. I asked for page numbers to
start at 1 and I made sure that I unchecked the "same as previous" option in
the footer. However, after all this, the new section starts with page 2, not
page 1 as I asked. Can anyone advise as to what I am doing wrong?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

pameluh

I've run into the same problem the original poster is having several times
(Word mis-numbering pages) ... sometimes from files that I've created, other
times from files that I inherit from others. I don't use section breaks
unless I absolutely have to because I find them bothersome and time
consuming, opting instead to format the first paragraph of the new page as
follows:

Paragraph | Line and Page Breaks tab | Page break before

Your solution for having the title page and table of contents in a separate
document is a good work-around but I use styles to automatically generate a
table of contents, so I don't know if that would work well for me (I've never
tried creating a table of contents from a linked document or if that's even
possible). I work with complex legal documents where the page numbers can
change dramatically with the insertion or deletion of a paragraph so having a
table of contents that I can just right click and have it update the headings
and page numbers is VERY valuable.

Moving the title page and TOC to the end, creating a section break and
removing the footer works for me. I can see how separating those two into a
completely new document would work if the table of contents is not very
complex (less than a page or just a few lines). Oh well

"vgardner" wrote:

I have a title page, table of contents page, and then my paper starts on the
third page. I made sure to create a new section on the third page because
that is where I want the page numbers to begin. I asked for page numbers to
start at 1 and I made sure that I unchecked the "same as previous" option in
the footer. However, after all this, the new section starts with page 2, not
page 1 as I asked. Can anyone advise as to what I am doing wrong?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

vgardner

I am sure I did not insert an Even Page Section Break. I think I am going to
try the advice to add the title page and TOC to the end of the document. I do
have a TOC that I have to be able to update within the document.

Thanks for the suggestions!

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Might you have inserted an Even Page Section Break? That would force the
numbering to start with an even number.

On 11/4/05 5:55 PM, "vgardner" wrote:

I have a title page, table of contents page, and then my paper starts on the
third page. I made sure to create a new section on the third page because
that is where I want the page numbers to begin. I asked for page numbers to
start at 1 and I made sure that I unchecked the "same as previous" option in
the footer. However, after all this, the new section starts with page 2, not
page 1 as I asked. Can anyone advise as to what I am doing wrong?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

vgardner

Pamela:

Your suggestion worked - amazing! It must be a bug or something within this
version. I will keep this in mind for the future. The document is going to be
printed anyway so it is not a problem to add the title and TOC to the end.

Vgardner