Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dennis Dennis is offline

Default One-to-many recs in datasource tables

I have a main Access (2002) table that's used for the datasource for a Word
(2002) document. I have a secondary table that's populated with the various
document version information. I need to dynamically build a Word table, and
populate that table with the information from the secondary database table.

If I have only one line of detail data, I'd build only one line of table,
but if I had 10 lines of detail data, I'd need to build 10 lines of table.

So - how do I use a secondary table in a Mail-merge, and how do I populate a
table dynamically?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dennis Dennis is offline

The problem is that I could have 10 version records for a single document. If
I use a query, I don't want to have extra rows. I just want my set of
versions and my set of other values for each document.

"+Bob+" wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:25:37 -0700, Dennis
wrote:

I have a main Access (2002) table that's used for the datasource for a Word
(2002) document. I have a secondary table that's populated with the various
document version information. I need to dynamically build a Word table, and
populate that table with the information from the secondary database table.

If I have only one line of detail data, I'd build only one line of table,
but if I had 10 lines of detail data, I'd need to build 10 lines of table.

So - how do I use a secondary table in a Mail-merge, and how do I populate a
table dynamically?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you want to do, but how
about using a query in Access to build the merged data from the two
physical tables, then use a catalog mail merge in Word to build the
doc ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

More easily done with a report in Access.

Sounds like you are probably trying to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the
ability to do:

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

or at

http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815

--
Hope this helps.