Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ben[_2_] Ben[_2_] is offline

Default Creating a form for Word Table

I've linked a word document to an existing Table I have setup
connected to an Oracle Database vis MS Query.

The result worked great, and data was retrieved into an MS Word
table. The
only problem, it captured and placed as a row of fields at the top of
my word document, with all data below.

What I need to be able to do is format this into more of a Form type
of MS Word output. How do I create the form and then link the fields
from the table so it is laid out as I need it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It sounds as if you have used Insert|Database to insert your table.

Another way to use data from your table is to create a MailMerge.

If you are using Word 2002 or 2003 I would use Tools|Customize to enable the
MailMerge toolbar, then start with the button at the left hand end and
create a Directory merge. Then use the next button to connect to your data
source. Then you can use button 6 to insert "MERGE fields" into your
document. Each is a placeholder for data from a column in your Oracle table.

There are several ways you can achieve a "catalog" style layout, e.g.
a. use tabs to layout out a "Title" or tag" and a field on each line, e.g.
suppose your data source has fields called field1,field2 etc. then you can
use

field1: field1
field2: field2

etc., wherefield1, field2 are the mergefields you inserted.

b. If you want to suppress lines where the fields are blank, there are a
couple
of possibilities. For text fields, you can usually use a switch in each
field, e.g. use Alt-F9 to show the field code

{ MERGEFIELD field1 }

then change it to

{ MERGEFIELD field1 \b "field1:tab" }

where tab is a tab character.

Or you can use nested IF fields, but let's not go there now.

c. If you don't need to suppress blank lines and there are text fields that
will wrap, or you want to apply visible borders to each field, you can put
the tags and fields inside a table. But Word cannot suppress rows in a table
just because the content is blank.

Peter Jamieson

ups.com...