Paul Harris

Default Configure for both Mac and PC

Greetings:

I'm working on a Mac (Word for OSX), trying to create a document that
will be viewed on a PC. Using the same fonts (Palatino and Arial),
except they have the PC versions, of course. I've got styles set up,
etc.

When I mail the file, the text reflows on the recipient's PC. I can't
figure out why. We've compared line breaks and they are the same, just
that text on a page will jump to the next page on the PC before it is
supposed to, long before it has reached the bottom margin.

I've tried using forced page breaks here and there, but they are only
effective to force the next page, not to bring text back. I've turned
off all widow & orphan control and all "keep with next" instructions
too, to no effect.

I normally use page layout software for this kind of thing, and am not
very familiar with Word, so am getting frustrated.

Any tips on how to accomplish this work would be appreciated.

Paul Harris

Daiya Mitchell

Try Suzanne's tips--but a question. Are you using Word X or Word 2004? The
page breaks between the two are substantially different--and I think Word
2004 is supposed to be closer to where they hit on the PC.

Also, fonts are quite a mystery to me, but same font name does always mean
exactly the same.

By the way, there are also Mac-specific newsgroups.
See here for Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord, MacExcel,
and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Paul Harris

On 2005-11-03 19:40:02 -0800, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" said:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BottomLine.htm. I would look for a
slight difference in line spacing (perhaps caused by font substitution).
Setting the line spacing to an Exact amount might help.

Thanks for the suggestions, Suzanne. I had sort of thought that line
spacing might be an issue, but since it was set to "single line," had
considered that would be the same on both platforms. I will try setting
it to an exact number.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Harris

On 2005-11-04 05:09:40 -0800, Daiya Mitchell
said:

Try Suzanne's tips--but a question. Are you using Word X or Word 2004? The
page breaks between the two are substantially different--and I think Word
2004 is supposed to be closer to where they hit on the PC.

Also, fonts are quite a mystery to me, but same font name does always mean
exactly the same.

By the way, there are also Mac-specific newsgroups.
See here for Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord, MacExcel,
and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

Hi Dalya:

Thanks for your ideas. I am using Word X, have not yet upgraded to Word 2004.

Regards,

Paul

"Single" is a variable amount, based on the amount of leading built into the
font and a number of settings in the Compatibility Options (such as whether
or not extra space is allowed for underlines, raised/lowered characters,
etc.); Exactly will hold the line against all such variations.