Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JERRY JERRY is offline

Default Formatting page numbers and creating a Table of Contents

Hello Everyone,
Right now, I would like to format my Word document in a very special way. I
want all the pages to read the following: 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc. in the footer.
How can I go about doing this? I tried to mess around with the custom fields,
but had no luck.

After this is done, I need to create a table of contents with the page
numbers in the same format. Originally, I just typed in "1-" and then
clicked "Insert Page." But when I created a TOC, the numbers would read 1,2,3
instead of 1-1, 1-2, 1-3.

How can I fix these problems?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jerry" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,
Right now, I would like to format my Word document in a very special way.
want all the pages to read the following: 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc. in the
footer.
How can I go about doing this? I tried to mess around with the custom
fields,
but had no luck.

After this is done, I need to create a table of contents with the page
numbers in the same format. Originally, I just typed in "1-" and then
clicked "Insert Page." But when I created a TOC, the numbers would read
1,2,3
instead of 1-1, 1-2, 1-3.

How can I fix these problems?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JERRY JERRY is offline

these websites are great, but they don't work for my situation. Heres the
complete story:

I was given a manual and needed to divide the manual up by its section.
Therefore, I have four word documents named Ch. 1, Ch. 2, Ch.3, & Ch.4.
The headings were correctly fomatted with H1,H2, etc. However, the sections
themselves don't say Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc.

Therefore, its my job to include the chapters in the footer.
Ex. Ch. 1 document is 1-1, 1-2, 1-3
Ex. Ch. 2 document is 2-1, 2-2, 2-3

I hope this explanation helps.

"Jerry" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,
Right now, I would like to format my Word document in a very special way.
want all the pages to read the following: 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc. in the
footer.
How can I go about doing this? I tried to mess around with the custom
fields,
but had no luck.

After this is done, I need to create a table of contents with the page
numbers in the same format. Originally, I just typed in "1-" and then
clicked "Insert Page." But when I created a TOC, the numbers would read
1,2,3
instead of 1-1, 1-2, 1-3.

How can I fix these problems?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, it doesn't help because there is no way the chapter number can be
included (automatically) with the page number in the TOC unless it is
included in the page number on the page by using the "Include chapter
number" feature.