dougferris

Default newspaper-style columns

I am trying to fill six columns across the page. So, if I have 20 items,
there would be 4-4-3-3-3-3 items in each of the six columns. Word balances
the columns from top to bottom so 20 items is 4-4-4-4-4-0 items in the six
columns. Is there a designation for balancing across the page instead of down
the page? This works in WordPerfect!!
Thanks,
Doug

I am assuming that you already have a Continuous section break below the
multi-column section, but if you think about this, you'll see that Word
can't do this particular task any other way. If it put 3 items in each
column, that would total only 18, so it must put 4 in some of the columns;
that establishes the length of the column, and it will not put any fewer
items in any of the other columns, because it must fill them. If you want to
force column breaks after 3 items, insert them using Ctrl+Shift+Enter.