Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nikosi

Default Greek Spelling in MS Office Word documents

I'm new to Windows XP. I can write in Greek but I cannot spell my Greek
documents. I had no trouble with my old MS Office 2000 with Windows 98!
I would appreciate your help?
Nick
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 06:23:01 -0800, Nikosi
wrote:

I'm new to Windows XP. I can write in Greek but I cannot spell my Greek
documents. I had no trouble with my old MS Office 2000 with Windows 98!
I would appreciate your help?
Nick

The English versions of Office ship with proofing support for English,
French, and Spanish. Support for all other languages requires the
Office Proofing Tools package
(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...345901033.aspx),
which is sold separately. As far as I know, the same was true in
Office 2000.

What version of Windows you're using has absolutely no effect on
language capabilities in Office.

More information about Office's multilingual capabilities is at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...347601033.aspx.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Tmlrb3Np?=,

I'm new to Windows XP. I can write in Greek but I cannot spell my Greek
documents. I had no trouble with my old MS Office 2000 with Windows 98!

Spelling in Office is controlled by the Office Proofing Tools. It has
nothing to do with the version of Windows (except that you may need
additional support, such as right-to-left, for some languages).

Each version of office contains the local language proofing tools, plus
English, at a minimum. If you don't own a Greek version of Office, then...

For each version of Office, since 2000, a set of proofing tools has been
available on a CD. The CD contains the tools for all 30+ language
supported by Office. Presumably, you once had this CD and used it to
install the Greek proofing tools. If that's the case, and you've changed
computers, you need to find the CD and install the tools again (assuming
you still have Office 2000; if you changed Office versions and didn't
install over the original Office 2000 installlation, you will need to
purchase the Proofing Tools for that version).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nikosi

Thank You both Cindy and Jay for your prompt response. I now understand that
there is a CD which will provide me with the Greek spelling. However, I now
remember for the Office 2000 I used a freeware Spell Checker for Greek Text
called "Spell Mate Lite". I still have that program in my old Window 98
machine which has Office 2000. Is there any reason why it would not work for
the Office 3000?
Nick

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Tmlrb3Np?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Hi Nick,

I found a web page at www.hri.org about Spell Mate Lite. It still
mentions only installation on Windows 95. Because the program depends
on a special keyboard driver, I can't tell whether it will work in
Windows XP. The problem is that drivers in Windows 95 and 98 used a
format called "vxd" that is not supported in Windows 2000 and XP. If
Spell Mate Lite uses that kind of driver, you won't be able to install
it on your new computer.

Probably the quickest way to find out is to try to install it. If it
isn't going to work, it will tell you right away.

You may be able to get some help from Hellenic Resources Network, the
creators of Spell Mate Lite. It appears they haven't updated that
program since 1997, but they may have something newer elsewhere on
their site.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:25:16 -0800, Nikosi
wrote:

Thank You both Cindy and Jay for your prompt response. I now understand that
there is a CD which will provide me with the Greek spelling. However, I now
remember for the Office 2000 I used a freeware Spell Checker for Greek Text
called "Spell Mate Lite". I still have that program in my old Window 98
machine which has Office 2000. Is there any reason why it would not work for
the Office 3000?
Nick

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Tmlrb3Np?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nikosi

Thank You Jay. I'have come up with the same conclusion. I have sent message
to HR about it and if I get an answer I will post it here.
Nick