Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Soony Day

Default Problem Installing Updated Office 2000

I have recentley attempted to install an updated version of Office 2000 onto
a PC I have inherited (with Windows XP). I had thought the previous version
of Office had ben taken off but when I try and run Word documents a Microsoft
Setup for the old Office pops up asking for the old security key. I'm
assuming there is some trace of the old Office still left on my PC which is
overiding the new product's security, and unfortunatley no record of the old
key exists. How can I completley remove the old software so that my ne key
will be accepted?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U29vbnkgRGF5?=,

I have recentley attempted to install an updated version of Office 2000 onto
a PC I have inherited (with Windows XP). I had thought the previous version
of Office had ben taken off but when I try and run Word documents a Microsoft
Setup for the old Office pops up asking for the old security key. I'm
assuming there is some trace of the old Office still left on my PC which is
overiding the new product's security, and unfortunatley no record of the old
key exists. How can I completley remove the old software so that my ne key
will be accepted?

As far as I know, this is not something a "typical" Office installation does.
you might try asking in the office.setup newsgroup, whether anyone there has any
ideas. It might help to provide more information about the version of Windows
and what kind of (corporate?) environment the machine originated from.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)