Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alpha Man Alpha Man is offline

Default Templates not opening as templates as word documents

A user approached me and said that: origionally when she opens a premade
template, the template opens as a template and not a word document. Is
there a way to open the template file as a document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Make sure the templates are stored in the appropriate locations such as ;

C:\Documents and Settings\user89\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates\TestStuff

or

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033

To create a new file based on one of the templates go to FileNew, then
click On My Computer in the Templates section of the Task Pane rather than
clicking the New Blank Document button (Ctrl+N). Definitely *don't* use
FileOpen unles you need to actually open a template file to edit it.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Alpha Man" wrote in message
A user approached me and said that: origionally when she opens a premade
template, the template opens as a template and not a word document. Is
there a way to open the template file as a document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Find out how the user is opening the template. The default action for
templates (.dot files) in Windows Explorer is New; if the default action has
been changed to Open, this needs to be fixed. The same is true for templates
in Word's File New dialog (double-clicking will open a new document based on
the template). But if the user is actually navigating to the template in
Word's File Open dialog, then the default will be to open for editing.