Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Mike is offline

Default "Document Views" in Word 2007

I just upgraded to Office 2007 from Office 2003 (running Windows XP SP2). I
prefer to view my Word documents with "Normal View" (now known as "Draft
View" in Word 2007) as opposed to "Print Layout view."

I understand how to change these views using the "Document Views" option.
However, when I open a file, it automatically opens with "Print Layout view."
With Office 2003, I was able to have it automatically opened in "Draft view."

How do I accomplish this in Word 2007?

Another interesting note: I opened a file in Word 2007 that was created in
Word 2003. I made some changes and then saved it as a Word 2003 file. When
I then opened it in Word 2003, it opened in "Print Layout View" rather than
"Normal View." I switched to "Normal View," made a change, and saved it, but
it would not open up in "Normal View" (in Word 2003). So I'm thinking the
problem has something to do with the way Word 2007 saves documents. But I
hope someone has another solution, because it's really annoying having to
change my view everytime I open a document.

Thank you,
mike.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think that the problem is that Print Layout is "the new Normal." So if you
consider "normal" as being equivalent to "default," Word is coding the
document as being set to open in the "default" view, which would be Print
Layout in 2007 and Normal in 2003. This is just a guess, though.

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Word 2007 appears to ignore the view setting saved in the file as
described at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...iewAndZoom.htm. However, I
can't reproduce your problem with a Word 2003 document edited in 2007
and returned to 2003 -- on my system it stays in Normal view in all
three sessions.

To force Normal/Draft view in Word 2007, store these macros in a
module in the Normal.dotm template:

Sub AutoNew()
ActiveWindow.View = wdNormalView
End Sub