Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JHop99 JHop99 is offline

Default double click won't open document

Several days ago I became unable to open Word documents as I had before by
double-clicking the document icon. What happens now is that Word opens and I
then have to use the Open dialogue to find the file on the Desktop or in the
folder where it resides. This is an annoying slowdown, especially since I
work on many files a day and often have to leave one to work in another.

Do you think this happened when I did the SP2 upgrade?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PlayingToAudienceOfOne PlayingToAudienceOfOne is offline

Right-click on the document icon and check the "Properties" to see if the
file is where it's supposed to be.
This won't solve your first problem, but will make your life easier (I
think): go to View / Toolbars / Customize / Under "Built-in Menus" then go to
"Work" and drag it up somewhere on your Standard Toolbar. You can then put
all of your most-frequently-worked-on files there; use Ctrl Alt - to remove
them from Work when you no longer need them.

"JHop99" wrote:

Several days ago I became unable to open Word documents as I had before by
double-clicking the document icon. What happens now is that Word opens and I
then have to use the Open dialogue to find the file on the Desktop or in the
folder where it resides. This is an annoying slowdown, especially since I
work on many files a day and often have to leave one to work in another.

Do you think this happened when I did the SP2 upgrade?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm