Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ST-464

Default Why does the Space Bar sometimes Delete words?

i am using Microsoft Word, it is a problem with all versions I have used.
Sometimes, and I have no idea why this happens or how to turn it on or off,
but the Space Bar suddenly becomes a delete button. If I try to enter a word
into a sentence it will automatically overtype the word following it, the
space bar will delete forward, just the same as the backspace will delete
backwards. i have never been able to figure out why this is and what I'm
doing to turn it on and would like to know how to turn it off?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Look at the status bar. You'll see OVR displayed in black, which means
that you have somehow turned on Overtype mode. Usually, the reason is
that you accidentally pressed the Insert key on your keyboard. To turn
off Overtype mode (and return to Insert mode), press the Insert key
again, or double-click OVR on the status bar, so that it greys out.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ST-464" wrote in message
i am using Microsoft Word, it is a problem with all versions I have

used.
Sometimes, and I have no idea why this happens or how to turn it on

or off,
but the Space Bar suddenly becomes a delete button. If I try to

enter a word
into a sentence it will automatically overtype the word following

it, the
space bar will delete forward, just the same as the backspace will

delete
backwards. i have never been able to figure out why this is and

what I'm
doing to turn it on and would like to know how to turn it off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sheila D

You are probably pressing the Insert key on the keyboard and turning
Overwrite on / off. Have a look at OVR on the Status Bar at the bottom of
the screen in Word - if it is bold the overwrite is on and pressing the space
bar will delete/overwrite the next letter.

Sheila

"ST-464" wrote:

i am using Microsoft Word, it is a problem with all versions I have used.
Sometimes, and I have no idea why this happens or how to turn it on or off,
but the Space Bar suddenly becomes a delete button. If I try to enter a word
into a sentence it will automatically overtype the word following it, the
space bar will delete forward, just the same as the backspace will delete
backwards. i have never been able to figure out why this is and what I'm
doing to turn it on and would like to know how to turn it off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If overtype is the problem, and "Insert" is accidently being hit, then you
can disable overtype all together (i sure as hell did.)

Tools Options Edit Tab Deselect "Overtype mode"

"ST-464" wrote in message
i am using Microsoft Word, it is a problem with all versions I have

used.
Sometimes, and I have no idea why this happens or how to turn it on

or off,
but the Space Bar suddenly becomes a delete button. If I try to

enter a word
into a sentence it will automatically overtype the word following

it, the
space bar will delete forward, just the same as the backspace will

delete
backwards. i have never been able to figure out why this is and

what I'm
doing to turn it on and would like to know how to turn it off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This setting responds to pressing of the Insert key; it does not override
it.

" wrote in
message ...