John

Default Not your average Word column question - help!

Greetings,
I understand how to insert a page break and column break in a Word document.
My application is to make an outline that is indented on the left side
column, and to place the time allotted to it in the right hand column, and
this will carry through all pages. One way to do this is to insert a page
break when I reach the bottom of the page, and then insert a column break
prior to that. This appears to fit the bill, but what if I want to add more
stuff in either column? The page starts to wrap around to the other column,
and all gets confusing very quickly.

Is there a pleasant way to keep adding data to the left-hand while, so that
when you run out of space, the column structure will be maintained on the
tasks and another column on the right side, with time allotment?

I am frustrated!
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:27:02 -0800, "John"
wrote:

Greetings,
I understand how to insert a page break and column break in a Word document.
My application is to make an outline that is indented on the left side
column, and to place the time allotted to it in the right hand column, and
this will carry through all pages. One way to do this is to insert a page
break when I reach the bottom of the page, and then insert a column break
prior to that. This appears to fit the bill, but what if I want to add more
stuff in either column? The page starts to wrap around to the other column,
and all gets confusing very quickly.

Is there a pleasant way to keep adding data to the left-hand while, so that
when you run out of space, the column structure will be maintained on the
tasks and another column on the right side, with time allotment?

I am frustrated!

Hi John,

This is an application for a table, not newspaper columns. Any time
you need things in one column to align vertically with things in
another column, a table is the only reasonable tool. Trying to do this
with newspaper columns *will* drive you crazy sooner, not later!

You can go into Format Borders and Shading to turn off the table's
borders, so it won't print them. Then you can toggle the dashed
gridlines on and off (Table Show/Hide Gridlines).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
John

Yeh, but what do you do after you have already discovered this limitation to
WORD? Can the formated columns (about seven deep) be imported into EXCEL,
while maintaining the spacings? I tried it the other day, and it was a mess!

John

wrote:

[...]

John

Jay,
I think that I misunderstood you. You meant to make the table in WORD.
Alright, I maintain my last question. How do I do this while keeping the
tabs in the left-most column intact?

JOHN

wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

Hi John,

Yep, I meant a Word table.

First, before you do anything else, make a copy of the document and
store it in some other folder, so you have something to go back to if
you mess up.

First create the empty table. I would put it at the top of your
document, but it could be at the bottom or even in a new blank
document.

Select some part of the first column of text, making sure to include
the paragraph mark at the end of the last line (easier to do if you
click the ¶ button on the toolbar so you can see them). Either copy or
cut to the clipboard, and paste in the first cell. The paragraph marks
include the tab settings, so those will come along with the text.
Repeat as needed, starting a new row each time the stuff in the second
column needs to be aligned with it.

For some light reading, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...ableBasics.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

[...]

You may also find that Word can do a surprisingly good job of conversion if
you use Table | Convert | Text to Table. In this case you'd need to do a
little preparation.

1. Select the text in the first column and use Find and Replace to find ^p
and replace with ^t^p. This adds a tab character at the end of every
paragraph.

2. With the text still selected, insert a tab stop far enough to the right
to clear the text.

3. Change the number of columns to 1.

4. With the Alt key depressed, drag to select the text that used to be in
the second column.

5. Drag it up beside the first-column text. If you had the text aligned in
the columns, it should be realigned by this method and will be ready to be
converted to a two-column table, separating text at tabs.

wrote:

[...]

side with
tasks and another column on the right side, with time allotment?

I am frustrated!

Hi John,

This is an application for a table, not newspaper columns. Any time
you need things in one column to align vertically with things in
another column, a table is the only reasonable tool. Trying to do this
with newspaper columns *will* drive you crazy sooner, not later!

You can go into Format Borders and Shading to turn off the table's
borders, so it won't print them. Then you can toggle the dashed
gridlines on and off (Table Show/Hide Gridlines).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

How can I divide a page into three sections? Bonnie Microsoft Word Help 3 May 8th 23 02:47 AM
Continuous breaks convert to next page breaks Jennifer Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 06:45 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 04:01 AM
saving the workspace Mike Microsoft Word Help 3 December 9th 04 12:32 AM
How do I turn off the "getting started" column in MS Word? frankjacks Microsoft Word Help 1 December 4th 04 03:57 AM