Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frustrated formatter! Frustrated formatter! is offline

Default Numbers in heading styles

For some reason, even though I have repeatedly customised the numbering, my
level 2 heading numbering won't change - instead of coming up as 2.1 as i
want it to, it stays as 2.2, so level 3 is 2.2.1 instead of 2.1.1 - why won't
it change the numbering? I haven't had this problem in other documents - is
there something that needs to be checked somewhere?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Ff

Frustrated formatter! wrote:
For some reason, even though I have repeatedly customised the numbering, my
level 2 heading numbering won't change - instead of coming up as 2.1 as i
want it to, it stays as 2.2, so level 3 is 2.2.1 instead of 2.1.1 - why won't
it change the numbering? I haven't had this problem in other documents - is
there something that needs to be checked somewhere?

it's not so much an individual switch than following rigidly the
"canonical" procedures outlined in the first article below:

See the section on "Numbering, bullets, Headings, Outlines" (by Shauna
Kelly)
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/
How to restart style-based numbering (by Margaret Aldis)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artMethods.htm
Word's numbering explained (by John McGhie)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm

Greetings
Robert
--