Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aliby aliby is offline

Default setting default language in footnotes/endnotes

Hi, new to this so hope I'm in the right place.
I'm trying to stop Word defaulting to US English for footnotes/endnotes.
I've tried setting the language for footnote/endnote style in normal.dot and
in the document (selecting add to template), but as soon as I add a new note
it goes back to US speak. I know I can select and change to UK English when
I'm done but this will mean going through and changing back everything that
has been auto-corrected to its US version ... or turning off auto-correct
which is not a good idea given my typing ability.

I'm using Word 2003 and windows XP
thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you pasting anything into the footnotes/endnotes? Language is a
character format that can apply to as little as a single character and will
ride in on pasted text; if the language at the insertion point (as a result
of a paste) is US English, then you will be typing in US English.

"aliby" wrote in message
Hi, new to this so hope I'm in the right place.
I'm trying to stop Word defaulting to US English for footnotes/endnotes.
I've tried setting the language for footnote/endnote style in normal.dot

and
in the document (selecting add to template), but as soon as I add a new

note
it goes back to US speak. I know I can select and change to UK English

when
I'm done but this will mean going through and changing back everything

that
has been auto-corrected to its US version ... or turning off auto-correct
which is not a good idea given my typing ability.

I'm using Word 2003 and windows XP
thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aliby aliby is offline

Hi Suzanne, thanks for the suggestion. It is not because I am pasting - as
soon as I insert a new footnote the langauage defaults to 'english US'. I've
just tried re-setting footnote text style to english UK in my template and it
still does it. I think I'll have to just try remembering to set to UK speak
each time I want a footnote.
the only think I was wondering was if the insert reference dialogue box is
looking somewhere else, or isn't connected to the styles?
thanks for your help,
ali

"aliby" wrote in message
Hi, new to this so hope I'm in the right place.
I'm trying to stop Word defaulting to US English for footnotes/endnotes.
I've tried setting the language for footnote/endnote style in normal.dot

and
in the document (selecting add to template), but as soon as I add a new

note
it goes back to US speak. I know I can select and change to UK English

when
I'm done but this will mean going through and changing back everything

that
has been auto-corrected to its US version ... or turning off auto-correct
which is not a good idea given my typing ability.

I'm using Word 2003 and windows XP
thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Turn off the automatic detection of language and keyboard layout.
See http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you pasting anything into the footnotes/endnotes? Language is

character format that can apply to as little as a single character

and will
ride in on pasted text; if the language at the insertion point (as

a result
of a paste) is US English, then you will be typing in US English.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"aliby" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aliby aliby is offline

OK, have sorted it I think.

In case anyone else has probs, I hadnt got the default language set up right
on the computer (whoops!). In input langauges/settings I had the keyboard as
English UK, but the top one (where it says EN) as US. Having changed that I
seem to be ok with my footnotes.

thanks for the suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 10/19/06 2:49 AM, "aliby" wrote:

I think I'll have to just try remembering to set to UK speak
each time I want a footnote.

If it continues to mess up, rather than resetting it every time--you can use
find and replace to switch text from US to UK English after the fact. Edit
| Replace, click on More. Cursor in the Find box, use Format | Language to
format the empty box as English US. Cursor in the Replace box, use Format |
Language to format the empty box as English UK.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement