Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Default Conditional Text/Mail Merge

Hi Folks - I create mail merges from a commercial software package. One of
the merge documents can have up to 4 letters included. The 4 letters
correspond to the number of borrowers for a particular case. So, if there is
only one borrower, we need only one letter. If there are 4 borrowers, we
need 4 letters. I am familiar with IF fields, but I'm not quite sure how to
prepare this document.

I'd like to have all 4 letters in one document, then somehow suppress the
letters that are not needed. Something like IF BORROWER4 is NOT EMPTY, then
include all four letters, IF NOT, IF BORROWER3 is NOT EMPTY, then include 3
letters, etc. Any ideas? Thanks.

Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could do that provided all the borrowers are in the same record, though
it is a bit fiddly to set up.
Start with the four letters each separated by a page break.
Select the final letter including the preceding page break and press
CTRL+F9 to make it into a field.
Add a double quote " before the final bracket }.
Go to the first bracket { and Type IF then CTRL+F9 ie {IF {}
Between the added brackets type Mergefield Borrower4
After the closing bracket Type
"" "
So you should have
{IF {Borrower4} "" "Letter 4 here"}
Repeat, only this time select the last TWO letters
{IF {Borrower3} "" "Letters 3 & 4 here"}
Repeat, only this time select the last THREE letters
{IF {Borrower3} "" "Letters 2, 3 & 4 here"}

Michael wrote:
Hi Folks - I create mail merges from a commercial software package.
One of the merge documents can have up to 4 letters included. The 4
letters correspond to the number of borrowers for a particular case.
So, if there is only one borrower, we need only one letter. If there
are 4 borrowers, we need 4 letters. I am familiar with IF fields, but
I'm not quite sure how to prepare this document.

I'd like to have all 4 letters in one document, then somehow suppress
the letters that are not needed. Something like IF BORROWER4 is NOT
EMPTY, then include all four letters, IF NOT, IF BORROWER3 is NOT
EMPTY, then include 3 letters, etc. Any ideas? Thanks.

Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael[_3_] Michael[_3_] is offline

Graham - Thanks ... Let me ask the question another way ... If you had to do
this, would you use the approach you mentioned, or would you use a different
approach?

Michael

Michael wrote:
Hi Folks - I create mail merges from a commercial software package.
One of the merge documents can have up to 4 letters included. The 4
letters correspond to the number of borrowers for a particular case.
So, if there is only one borrower, we need only one letter. If there
are 4 borrowers, we need 4 letters. I am familiar with IF fields, but
I'm not quite sure how to prepare this document.

I'd like to have all 4 letters in one document, then somehow suppress
the letters that are not needed. Something like IF BORROWER4 is NOT
EMPTY, then include all four letters, IF NOT, IF BORROWER3 is NOT
EMPTY, then include 3 letters, etc. Any ideas? Thanks.

Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I have never had occasion to do this, other than to test the premise, but
this method will do the job.