Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce cayce is offline

Default convert TOC to regular text

In a Microsoft press book named Microsoft Word version 2002, Inside Out,
there are instructions on page 260 about how to convert a TOC into regular
text by using Ctrl+Shift+F9 (I assume you'd need to have the TOC selected
first, although the instruction doesn't state so). Anyhow, nothing happens
when I do this. I would find this a useful tool.

Perhaps the wrong key combination is being given in the book. Does anyone
know how to accomplish this? I find this an excellent reference book, this
just seems to be a snafu.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If your TOC is a field, then clicking anywhere in it and pressing
Ctrl+Shift+F9 should unlink it (unless it's locked or that shortcut has been
reassigned). The only change you would see is that if you have opted to have
the entire entry (and not just the page number) hyperlinked, the entries
will now display the Hyperlink character style (which was always applied but
the display suppressed). You will no longer be able to update the TOC, of
course, but you will be able to edit and format it in ways that can be
difficult to impossible when it is still an active field.

"cayce" wrote in message
In a Microsoft press book named Microsoft Word version 2002, Inside Out,
there are instructions on page 260 about how to convert a TOC into regular
text by using Ctrl+Shift+F9 (I assume you'd need to have the TOC selected
first, although the instruction doesn't state so). Anyhow, nothing happens
when I do this. I would find this a useful tool.

Perhaps the wrong key combination is being given in the book. Does anyone
know how to accomplish this? I find this an excellent reference book,

this
just seems to be a snafu.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce cayce is offline

Hi Suzanne:

I tried again; I see no hyperlink character style applied to the unlinked
text (that style is available, just not being applied for some reason). I was
able to confirm it was unlinked however, so that is sufficient for my needs.

I wasn't sure what would happen so I now know more than I did before.

thanks!

"cayce" wrote in message
In a Microsoft press book named Microsoft Word version 2002, Inside Out,
there are instructions on page 260 about how to convert a TOC into regular
text by using Ctrl+Shift+F9 (I assume you'd need to have the TOC selected
first, although the instruction doesn't state so). Anyhow, nothing happens
when I do this. I would find this a useful tool.

Perhaps the wrong key combination is being given in the book. Does anyone
know how to accomplish this? I find this an excellent reference book,

this
just seems to be a snafu.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can easily confirm that it has been unlinked by pressing Alt+F9. As long
as it is a field, when you toggle the field display, you'll see the TOC
field itself. After it's unlinked, there will be no field to see, so the
text will not change.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If your TOC is a field, then clicking anywhere in it and pressing
Ctrl+Shift+F9 should unlink it (unless it's locked or that shortcut has

been
reassigned). The only change you would see is that if you have opted to

have
the entire entry (and not just the page number) hyperlinked, the entries
will now display the Hyperlink character style (which was always applied

but
the display suppressed). You will no longer be able to update the TOC,

of
course, but you will be able to edit and format it in ways that can be
difficult to impossible when it is still an active field.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.