Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] alfrodull@gmail.com is offline

Default Word cannot find data source problem

Hi,

I'm having a problem getting Word to remember the link to its data
source for some files. It continually asks to locate the data source
and if you point it to the file it just continually loops back and
asks for the file location again. If you tell it "No" on the SQL
check dialog, the file opens and I can go to "Open Data Source" and
point to the file that way.

The merge document is a one page letter. The data is a simple csv
file with only 10 fields.

I've tried putting the csv file in the My Data Sources folder and that
doesn't fix it.

I've tried using the registry setting to skip the SQL check, but that
means I end up in the "Locate Data Source" loop with no way of opening
the file at all.

The closest thing I've come up with that sort of gets me to a work
around is that some of the field headings have an underscore in them:
First_Name, Last_Name, Address_1, etc. However, if I make a new csv
file in notepad and make the names with an _, it works fine. But then
I get the second clue.

If I click on Tools | Letters and Mailings | Mail Merge to get the
Mail Merge side bar, step 3 has some weirdness. On the csv file that
does not work, the source that the recipients are currently selected
from appears as:

[:\foldername\source.cs] in "source.csv"

If I make a csv file from scratch and do not use any underscores, that
line becomes just:

"test.csv"

But as soon as I change a field name in the working csv file to
contain and underscore it changes to:

[:\foldername\test.cs] in "test.csv"

It still works, probably because somewhere in the file it remembers
that it used to work before I changed the file name, but who knows at
this point.

Has anyone else run into something similar or know of a fix?

Thanks!