rogerl

Default labels %26 envelopes

I am using Word 2000 under envelopes and lables and trying to access my
Outlook Express address book. When I click on the address book icon it tells
me "logon failed. You need to log onto MS Exchange.... Unspecified error" I
use win XP SP2 and Office 2000 without Outlook. I also use MS Fax under these
conditions and have no problem accessing the address book with that package.
Any ideas please?
TF

Nope. You cannot access OE address book from Office. Why not use Outlook?
You don't have to use it as your default mail client, but you can open
Outlook and IMPORT the OE address book. Then you will have access to your
addresses.

However, you are missing so much of Office by not using Outlook. The address
book is really a Contact Manager and you can do so much more than with OE.
There's a great Calendar and you can add all anniversaries once and keep
them forever, setting up the Reminder to popup a pre-determined period in
advance and a whole bundle of useful tools.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"rogerl" wrote in message
:I am using Word 2000 under envelopes and lables and trying to access my
: Outlook Express address book. When I click on the address book icon it
tells
: me "logon failed. You need to log onto MS Exchange.... Unspecified error"
: use win XP SP2 and Office 2000 without Outlook. I also use MS Fax under
these
: conditions and have no problem accessing the address book with that
package.
: Any ideas please?

rogerl

Thanks,
I did install Outlook at one stage but it overpowered everything. I know it
upset me at the time and I deleted Office and started again. Admittedly that
was some time ago and perhaps a more enlightened me might find it more
useful. I shall ponder on the subject!!

"rogerl" wrote in message
:I am using Word 2000 under envelopes and lables and trying to access my
: Outlook Express address book. When I click on the address book icon it
tells
: me "logon failed. You need to log onto MS Exchange.... Unspecified error"
: use win XP SP2 and Office 2000 without Outlook. I also use MS Fax under
these
: conditions and have no problem accessing the address book with that
package.
: Any ideas please?

I can sympathize. In its very first version, Outlook asserted itself as my
default mail client and made it difficult (though luckily not impossible)
for me to use the mail portion of Internet Mail and News (the precursor of
Outlook Express). I have never entirely forgiven it, but I do allow it house
room now. I still don't use it for email and perhaps never will, but it's
handy for the "electronic appointment cards" I get for online meetings. You
don't have to use any of Outlook's other features, either, but if you need
an address book that Word can access, then you can use that part and ignore
the rest.

"rogerl" wrote in message
:I am using Word 2000 under envelopes and lables and trying to access my
: Outlook Express address book. When I click on the address book icon it
tells
: me "logon failed. You need to log onto MS Exchange.... Unspecified

error"
: use win XP SP2 and Office 2000 without Outlook. I also use MS Fax

under
these
: conditions and have no problem accessing the address book with that
package.
: Any ideas please?

TF

In Outlook 2003, under Tools, Options, Other tab, there is a setting that
forces Outlook to be the default Mail, Calendar, Contacts client. Now quite
why it is hidden under the Other tab, or why it is needed overriding the
settings under Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs Tab settings - who
knows? It certainly is a pest to all those that want to use Outlook but not
as a mail client!

Terry Farrell

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
:I can sympathize. In its very first version, Outlook asserted itself as my
: default mail client and made it difficult (though luckily not impossible)
: for me to use the mail portion of Internet Mail and News (the precursor of
: Outlook Express). I have never entirely forgiven it, but I do allow it
house
: room now. I still don't use it for email and perhaps never will, but it's
: handy for the "electronic appointment cards" I get for online meetings.
You
: don't have to use any of Outlook's other features, either, but if you need
: an address book that Word can access, then you can use that part and
ignore
: the rest.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: ...
: "TF" wrote:
:
[...]
: "rogerl" wrote in message
: ...
: :I am using Word 2000 under envelopes and lables and trying to access
my
: : Outlook Express address book. When I click on the address book icon
it
: tells
: : me "logon failed. You need to log onto MS Exchange.... Unspecified
: error"
: I
: : use win XP SP2 and Office 2000 without Outlook. I also use MS Fax
: under
: these
: : conditions and have no problem accessing the address book with that
: package.
: : Any ideas please?
:
:
:
:

Whatever it did in those long-ago days removed "Internet Mail" from the
Programs tab of Internet Options as an option for mail client, and "Read
Mail" was no longer on the IE toolbar. Luckily I had a desktop shortcut for
Internet Mail that I was able to use to start it outside of IE.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
[...]

: ...

: "TF" wrote:
:
[...]

: ...