amber

Default I cannot open a .dat file

My friend emailed me a Word file (*.doc file) to me, but the file Ive saved
from the attachment in Outlook Express has a .dat extension. I cant seem to
open it in wordpad. notepad or Work's wordprocessor, or even with Wordperfect
Office 12 (I dont have Word). Is my friend wrong about what he has sent?
TF

It has something to do with an overactive Anti Virus checker somewhere -
probably at your ISP but may be a corporate AV scanner doing this.. Get the
sender to ZIP the file with WinZip or similar utility first. That should
stop the AV from messing with it.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"amber" wrote in message
: My friend emailed me a Word file (*.doc file) to me, but the file Ive
saved
: from the attachment in Outlook Express has a .dat extension. I cant seem
: open it in wordpad. notepad or Work's wordprocessor, or even with
Wordperfect
: Office 12 (I dont have Word). Is my friend wrong about what he has sent?

RWN

Is the file with the ".dat" extension perhaps "Winmail.dat"?
If so;

Also, a "Google" on "winmail.dat" and you'll get tons of hits.

--
Regards;
Rob