Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
inanna inanna is offline

Default Mysterious message re MS Professional Edition 2003

I keep getting a box titled "Microsoft Professional Edition 2003" that tells
me "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
unavailable." It tells me that I should try to locate "pro11.msi," which a
search tells me that I don't have. What I have is the Home Edition of Windows
XP. This message began to show up yesterday evening - after I had made no
changes whatever to my system. Does anyone know what I should do about this?
(And is it connected to the fact that after printing one Word document
without a problem, my printer (lan exmark X.25) is suddenly declining to
print, or even to show up in the printer mennu with an error message?)
--
inanna
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Inanna,

Pro11.msi is the main installation program for MS Office Professional Edition 2003 located on the original product CD.

The error you are getting can indicate that the MS Installer has detected a problem with the Office 2003 Professional Edition and is
trying to fix it, but cannot locate the CD (or Office Admin point on a network) that was used originally install Office 2003
Professional Edition.

==============
"inanna" wrote in message ...
I keep getting a box titled "Microsoft Professional Edition 2003" that tells
me "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
unavailable." It tells me that I should try to locate "pro11.msi," which a
search tells me that I don't have. What I have is the Home Edition of Windows
XP. This message began to show up yesterday evening - after I had made no
changes whatever to my system. Does anyone know what I should do about this?
(And is it connected to the fact that after printing one Word document
without a problem, my printer (lan exmark X.25) is suddenly declining to
print, or even to show up in the printer mennu with an error message?)
--
inanna
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
inanna inanna is offline

Hi, Bob,

Your response make a lot of sense - except that when I put the original
installation CD in my D drive, it still can't fnd Pro11.msi. I also ran
"detect and repair" with no results. What am I doing wrong?
--
inanna

"inanna" wrote in message ...
I keep getting a box titled "Microsoft Professional Edition 2003" that tells
me "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
unavailable." It tells me that I should try to locate "pro11.msi," which a
search tells me that I don't have. What I have is the Home Edition of Windows
XP. This message began to show up yesterday evening - after I had made no
changes whatever to my system. Does anyone know what I should do about this?
(And is it connected to the fact that after printing one Word document
without a problem, my printer (lan exmark X.25) is suddenly declining to
print, or even to show up in the printer mennu with an error message?)
--
inanna
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word cannot find pro11.msi on the hard drive at the location it expects.
Pro11.msi will be on the disc *from which Office was originally installed*.
Put that disc in the drive and run setup *from the disc*. Choose repair when
given the option.

"inanna" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
inanna inanna is offline

Again, good advice, but searches on the disc told me that it wasn't there.
Then, the first time I went to the "Setup" file on the disc and selected
"Setup.ini" to look for "repair," my system hung up. Now I can't open it
(even after removing and reinserting the disc several times and rebooting).
Have aliens taken over my laptop?

--
inanna