KM1

Default CPU Usage When working with a Template I Created

Please refer to my other posts regarding "CPU usage when working with a
Template you created". No one was answering so I started a new post

Went to work to see if the template caused the same problem. I pulled up
the Template I created at work and
tried working in it as before. No problems with CPU usage. I tried several
times using exactly the same procedures at home, even checked to make sure
all the autotext I created with the template came with the email attachment.
All was the same, however, CPU usage stayed at 0% - 3%. Very strange. Now
there are major differences between the operating systems and software at
home and here at work. I will list them:

1. Using Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 installed and updated at home / At
work I am using Windows XP Professiona Edition 2002 w/SP1 installed Clone
computer is not up to date. Don't know about server.

2. Using Microsoft Office 2003 at home all up to date / At work they use
Microsoft Office 2000

3. Using Microsoft Word 2003 at Home all up to date / At work we use
Microsoft Office 2000

4. Using two individual computers at home with 1 gig ram & 512 ram / at
work we run clones from a server w/ 496 ram.

5. Using Mcafee Viruscan, Firewall Plus, Privacy Service & Microsoft
Atispyware Beta1 for virus and spyware protection. All of them have some
active component running in the background. At work I think they run Mcafee
on the server but none of it is availabel on the clone computers. They also
run Spybot Search and Destroy which is available on each clone but hidden.
No active components running. Program is run separately when needed.

Anyone out there know why this is occuring on a new system with newer
version of office and word and not on an older system with previous versions
of office and word. Would be very interested in knowing????

Ok, Went home after work and fired up the computer in safe mode. Pulled up
word and tried to see if I get the same CPU response in Safe mode as in
normal mode. No virus, firewall, spyware protection, etc. Found that,
again, when active and in the template I created the CPU usage on my smaller
computer hangs around 90 - 100% even in safe mode. This has to be something
with Office 2003, Word 2003, or some hardware setting. Two computer same,
two instulations of the same programs and OS, and same problem with CPU.
However, using same template on Pro version of XP wSP1 and office/word 2000
no problem with CPU usage. Someone at Microsoft should know something about
this phenonmenon. Any more information would be appreciated.
--
KM1

--
KM1
Charles Kenyon

That no one is answering means no one who has read it has a good answer.
Also, responses from the volunteers who regularly answer questions over the
weekend may not be as high as during the regular work week. Please do not
post multiple threads. I doubt that anyone is going to look for your
than a hundred message posted a day. Sorry.

To add information to a previous post, reply to your previous post. That
keeps the information together.

Does your problem template contain macros?

What size is the file?

Does it contain multiple sections?

http://addbalance.com/usersguide/doc...corruption.htm might give you some
other ideas, as might
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm. Might not, too.
Word 2003 is better at detecting (and fixing) problems in documents than are
earlier versions.

Note that the proper way to use a template is to create a new document based
on the template. Is that the kind of template you mean or might we be
talking about what Word calls an online form?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"KM1" wrote in message
[...]

KM1

The reason I started another post is because someone had asked for a response
when I tested the template at work on a third machine with earlier software
and XP not updated to sp2. I did not get a response and my post seemed to be
getting lost down the list. I will answer your questions in succession to
see if you can help and I will copy the old information to this post and stay
within this post as you suggest. Thanks.

1. Does the problem template contain macros?

No macros just a lot of auto text. 90 items, however, I created a new
template with only 5 items and the CPU usage hung at 90% with the new
template I created. At work with older software, this was not the case. I
have all the steps I have gone through below these questions in the copied
posts which I have moved to this posting.

2. What size is the Template?

The Template is 58kb

3. Does it contain multiple sections

No just the 90 auto text items

Below is the original post and the subsequent add on posts:

I was wondering why, when working on a template that I created and adding
auto text to that template, the cpu usage hangs around 50%. If I use the
template as a document and type in it, the cpu usage stays much lower
sometimes down to 0 to maybe 10 % or less. As soon as I pull up the template
as a template and then begin to work in it or modify it, the cpu usage goes
up and
fluctuates as high as 50%. I have tried this on two different computers with
the same result. The
second computer has 1/2 the ram and it will hang around 90% while pulling the
template up as a template and adding auto text. Is this normal behavior?
Seems Strange.

I tried today to create a completely new template from scratch. I pulled up
the nomal.dot document as a template. Changed the margins, added tabs, the
date and some returns so it matched my old template. I then saved it under a
different name. Then I pulled it up as a template and checked the CPU usage
while in the template and it read 0%. I then copied 10 autotext items to it
and individually added them to auto text giving them there own codes, then
saving the auto text only under its template name so as to not have all of
this auto text for all active templates. Same procedure as I used before. I
then saved it under its new name and pulled it up as a template again and
checked the CPU usage. Bam, CPU usage hung around 50 - 100%. Pulled the new
template up as a document and CPU usage normal. So, I thought maybe the fact
that I copied the same auto text I was using into the template may have
caused the problem so I started from scratch again and this time I would
create a new template and type my own text into autotext which I would save
that new template. Same thing happened, as soon as I had saved some auto
text in the new template and then pulled it back up as a template to work on
it, the CPU usage goes way up. Everything works fine, however, I do find
this strange. The one computer with 512 ram will hold at 90% and higher when
working with the template as a template, it is fine when working with it as a
document. My concern is that as I add more auto text to the template it will
eventually lock up. The new one I just made had only 5 items, my original
has 90 already. Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

I am going to send a copy of my template to work where I have Word 2000 and
work off of a server and see if it does the same thing there. At home were
this happens I have Word 2003 and Office 2003 along with 1 gig of ram and 512
on my smaller computer. Running Windows XP w/SP2 at home all up to date but
running Windows XP w/SP1 at work

(Response was from Michael_Corral, he wanted to know what happened when I
tried the below at work)

Thanks for the response. I pulled up the Template I created at work and
tried working in it as before. No problems with CPU usage. I tried several
times using exactly the same procedures at home, even checked to make sure
all the autotext I created with the template came with the email attachment.
All was the same, however, CPU usage stayed at 0% - 3%. Very strange. Now
there are major differences between the operating systems and software at
home and here at work. I will list them:

1. Using Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 installed and updated at home / At
work I am using Windows XP Professional Edition 2002 w/SP1 installed Clone
[...]

two instalations of the same programs and OS, and same problem with CPU.
However, using same template on Pro version of XP wSP1 and office/word 2000
no problem with CPU usage. Someone at Microsoft should know something about
this phenonmenon. Any more information would be appreciated.

OK, that is all of it. I will keep everything now in this post. Any help
would be appreciated.
--
KM1

"KM1" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

I can tell you that I have at least one template that I use as an Add-In
daily that has over 90 autotext items in it, all fields, without problems
that I've noticed. Some entries are a half-page of fields. I created it in
Word 97 and have used it with all succeeding versions of Word. It is 412 kb.
I ran it on a 100 Mhz Pentium Plus computer with 256 Mb Ram.

What is in your AutoText items?
--

"KM1" wrote in message
[...]

KM1

The autotext includes Addresses with Email's, paragraphs of standard
statements that are used consistently, insursnce rules that are repeatedly
used, and an RE block which contains tabs and returns. The autotext feature
is used daily and almost everytime, on the first try, they do not come up.
Second time, everytime, they work and continue to work as long as word stays
up. If it is closed down and reopened, it may not work again the first time.

--
KM1

"KM1" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

I believe it will work, consistently, if you type the name of the entry and
press the F3 key. Also if you call up the AutoText dialog and use Insert
from there. What does not always work is the AutoComplete. It has been
reported by others as well to sometimes not work immediately upon startup.
However, I thought your problem was CPU usage.
--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

That no one is answering means no one who has read it has a good
answer.
Also, responses from the volunteers who regularly answer questions
over
the
weekend may not be as high as during the regular work week. Please do
not
post multiple threads. I doubt that anyone is going to look for your
more

/
[...]

KM1

Charles,

I am sorry, I have two problems and posts I am working with and I confused
them. However, you have answered one of them. I have noticed that the F3
Key works consistently lbetter than the Autocorrect feature of autotext. I
will let my wife know. As far as the CPU usage, I have yet to get anything
on that. As I was saying before I confuse the posts, I have addresses,
statements, insurance rules, and other paragraphs that are used consistantly
in my autotext template. Hope this info helps with why CPU usage goes up
when pulling up the template as a template and modifying or adding new
autotext.
--
KM1