Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AsiaSource AsiaSource is offline

Default Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Hi there,
When I use Word 2007 TOC, and I want to edit an existing TOC layout, etc. It
wont remember my settings.

I go to
References
Table of Contents
Insert Table of Contents
Then I make my chnages here, such as changing the levels of the various
styles and how they show up
Then I select OK, the TOC is created..

I then decide I don't like the changes I made, or I need to include another
style
So I go to
References
Table of Contents
Insert Table of Contents
The changes I made are no where to be seen. I have to start over from
scratch.

What am I doing wrong, please?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is a failing in all versions of Word. You either have to start from
scratch or edit the TOC field code directly (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm).

http://word.mvps.org

"AsiaSource" wrote in message
Hi there,
When I use Word 2007 TOC, and I want to edit an existing TOC layout, etc.
It wont remember my settings.

I go to
References
Table of Contents
Insert Table of Contents
Then I make my chnages here, such as changing the levels of the various
styles and how they show up
Then I select OK, the TOC is created..

I then decide I don't like the changes I made, or I need to include
another style
So I go to
References
Table of Contents
Insert Table of Contents
The changes I made are no where to be seen. I have to start over from
scratch.

What am I doing wrong, please?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AsiaSource AsiaSource is offline

Wow, that is a complete pain... Thanks for the info...

Does MS have any plans to fix that?

So has this been a bug since word xp? (All versions of word???)

You'd think this would be a high priority.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is no Word XP, only Word 2002 in Office XP, but if you believe that is
the beginning of Word, you must be very young. I have been using Word since
Word for Windows 2.0 (1992), and it was old then. Of course, in that
version, you still had to use TC fields and Insert | Field to generate a
TOC. It is very worthwhile to learn how to edit a TOC field, as there are
some options that are not available from the TOC dialog at all.