Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CarlSprake CarlSprake is offline

Default Show / Hide table of figures etc

I am trying to create a range of templates for our company to use for
documents such as reports. Some of these will contain tables, figures and
appendices. These templates should be as user friendly as possible. So I was
wondering if it is possible to set the template up in such a way that it
automatically inserts a table of figures, table of tables etc, but only when
one exists.

That is if the document does not contain any figures the template will not
create a table of figures.

Was hoping that some had already been faced with this and come up with a
solution.

Thanks for your help

Carl
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, you could insert a table of contents, table of figures, etc. in
a template (the same way you would in a document), but each of them
would display an error message if no entries are found in the
document.

A better approach is to insert an "example" TOC (TOF, etc.),
specifying the necessary options, and then generate an AutoText entry
for each of these tables. Users could then insert the appropriate
AutoText when they need it. For more on AutoText in general, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/AutoText.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP