Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jill

Default page numbering

I think I'm on the right track from Garfield -n- Odie from others questions
but here goes....I'm building a template for procedures. Within these
documents I have enclosures. My procedures are numbered page 1 of ?. My
enclosures should be numbered 1 of ?. Sometimes I have several sets of
enclosures needing to be numbered 1 of ?. Is there a way for me to add this
into my template? Maybe a macro where my page number would restart 1 of ?
for each new enclosure.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tigroid

Click on view, header and footer, click on Insert Auto Text, click on Page X
of Y. This will automatically put the page 1 of ? on each page.

"jill" wrote:

I think I'm on the right track from Garfield -n- Odie from others questions
but here goes....I'm building a template for procedures. Within these
documents I have enclosures. My procedures are numbered page 1 of ?. My
enclosures should be numbered 1 of ?. Sometimes I have several sets of
enclosures needing to be numbered 1 of ?. Is there a way for me to add this
into my template? Maybe a macro where my page number would restart 1 of ?
for each new enclosure.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You can restart page numbering by inserting section breaks and telling them
to restart numbering. http://addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm
You would want to be using SectionPages fields instead of NumPages fields.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"jill" wrote in message
I think I'm on the right track from Garfield -n- Odie from others questions
but here goes....I'm building a template for procedures. Within these
documents I have enclosures. My procedures are numbered page 1 of ?. My
enclosures should be numbered 1 of ?. Sometimes I have several sets of
enclosures needing to be numbered 1 of ?. Is there a way for me to add
this
into my template? Maybe a macro where my page number would restart 1 of ?
for each new enclosure.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jill

I get the page numbering restarted but I need to have my page number plus my
total number of pages to restart at 1 in several places in my document. Is
this possible?

"jill" wrote in message
I think I'm on the right track from Garfield -n- Odie from others questions
but here goes....I'm building a template for procedures. Within these
documents I have enclosures. My procedures are numbered page 1 of ?. My
enclosures should be numbered 1 of ?. Sometimes I have several sets of
enclosures needing to be numbered 1 of ?. Is there a way for me to add
this
into my template? Maybe a macro where my page number would restart 1 of ?
for each new enclosure.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Please re-read my message. You need to change the Y in Page X of Y from
NumPages to SectionPages field.
--

"jill" wrote in message
I think I'm on the right track from Garfield -n- Odie from others
questions
but here goes....I'm building a template for procedures. Within these
documents I have enclosures. My procedures are numbered page 1 of ?.
My
enclosures should be numbered 1 of ?. Sometimes I have several sets of
enclosures needing to be numbered 1 of ?. Is there a way for me to add
this
into my template? Maybe a macro where my page number would restart 1
of ?
for each new enclosure.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jill

Charles,...I tried to make a macro to add enclosures automatically in my
template. I did the section 1 and section 2 in the macro and then deleted
the extra page after stopping the macro. When I click on the macro, section
2 is ok but 1 shows ePage{page} of {sectionpages} and then underneath is page
1 of 1. What am I doing wrong? Help please!

"jill" wrote in message
I think I'm on the right track from Garfield -n- Odie from others
questions
but here goes....I'm building a template for procedures. Within these
documents I have enclosures. My procedures are numbered page 1 of ?.
My
enclosures should be numbered 1 of ?. Sometimes I have several sets of
enclosures needing to be numbered 1 of ?. Is there a way for me to add
this
into my template? Maybe a macro where my page number would restart 1
of ?
for each new enclosure.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should not need a macro. If your headers/footers are linked, they should
all have the same Page { PAGE } of { SECTIONPAGES } construction, which will
return the correct page number and number of pages in the section on each
page. To ensure this, you should change the page number format (to Start at
1) and add the Page X of Y construction in Section 1 before inserting any of
the section breaks.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

You can restart page numbering by inserting section breaks and

telling
them
to restart numbering. http://addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm

and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm
You would want to be using SectionPages fields instead of NumPages
fields.
--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version

of

"jill" wrote in message
I think I'm on the right track from Garfield -n- Odie from others
questions
but here goes....I'm building a template for procedures. Within

these
documents I have enclosures. My procedures are numbered page 1

of ?.
My
enclosures should be numbered 1 of ?. Sometimes I have several

sets of
enclosures needing to be numbered 1 of ?. Is there a way for me

to add
this
into my template? Maybe a macro where my page number would

restart 1
of ?
for each new enclosure.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jill

Yes, I know this but my document is more complex. I was wanting a macro where
I could just click on it for each new section. I have in my procedures
several enclosures all different in each procedure. So, if I had a macro I
wouldn't have to format my header and footer each time. I'm wanting to put
it in a template because I have many procedures to type up with a variety of
enclosures inside these procedures.

"jill" wrote in message
I think I'm on the right track from Garfield -n- Odie from others
questions
but here goes....I'm building a template for procedures. Within

these
documents I have enclosures. My procedures are numbered page 1

of ?.
My
enclosures should be numbered 1 of ?. Sometimes I have several

sets of
enclosures needing to be numbered 1 of ?. Is there a way for me

to add
this
into my template? Maybe a macro where my page number would

restart 1
of ?
for each new enclosure.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Don't use a macro for this.
Work with headers and footers and fields. Learn this first, before you start
messing with macros. Unless you understand what you are trying to get Word
to do, macros just let you mess up your document faster and more thoroughly!

You want to have each new section restart page numbering.
Make sure your fields are inserted with real field delimeters like those
inserted using Ctrl-F9 and not typed in.
If you are showing {page} then either you do not have proper delimiters or
you are displaying field codes. The underneath page 1 of 1 tells me that you
probably are not displaying field codes.

Start with a brand new document. Put some text in it by typing exactly what
is below and then pressing the enter key.
=Rand(30,7)
At the end of the document, insert a break with a next page section break.
Type the text formula again except use 90 instead of 30. You should now have
a multi-page document with two sections of different size.
Now go into headers and footers.
Format your page numbers using the button for this on the toolbar so that
the page numbers restart.
Type the following:
Page page of SectionPages
Select "page" and press Ctrl-F9. Press F9.
Select "SectionPages" and press Ctrl-F9. Press F9.
You have your header. The two sections should show the lengths of the
sections.

Close the header/footer view. Delete all the text. Save this as a template
and use it as the start for your compilation documents.

From now on, when you insert a section break at the end of the document
created from this template, you will end up with your page numbering
restarting and reflecting the contents of your section in your header.

Ctrl-End takes you to the end of a document. Now, if you really need a
macro, start from that point.
The following macro goes to the end of a document, inserts a next page
section break and pastes text.

Sub BreakAndPaste()
'
' Macro written 20 Dec 2005 by Charles Kyle Kenyon
'
Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdStory
Selection.InsertBreak Type:=wdSectionBreakNextPage
Selection.PasteAndFormat (wdPasteDefault)
End Sub

Inserting fields or altering headers/footers using a macro complicates
things immensely. Unless I see a reason for you to do this, I don't care to
spend my time helping you do it.
--

"jill" wrote in message
I think I'm on the right track from Garfield -n- Odie from others
questions
but here goes....I'm building a template for procedures. Within
these
documents I have enclosures. My procedures are numbered page 1 of
?.