Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inches

Default status bar

Rather than viewing the column number in the status bar, I would like to see
where my cursor is in inches. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inches

"Inches" wrote:

Rather than viewing the column number in the status bar, I would like to see
where my cursor is in inches. Is this possible?

As a former WordPerfect user, it would be very useful. Seeing the column mark doesn't really mean much, especially when using tabs, ect. It is much more useful to see where you are in terms of inches as you type across the page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

If you're referring to *horizontal* position on a line (which I am asuming,
since vertical is already displayed on the Status Bar), even if it is
possible it doesn't seem practicable - recalculation would have to occur
with every keystroke. The lag time imposed would probably be unacceptable to
most users.

Why would this be useful? Perhaps there is an existing feature that would
provide a satisfactory altenative.

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Inches" wrote in message
Rather than viewing the column number in the status bar, I would like to
see
where my cursor is in inches. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As a workaround, you can click on the ruler as if to set a tab stop, as you
drag the tab, a dotted line extends down the page, and you can use it to
close in on the position you want to see the location of. If you press Alt
while dragging, the ruler will display exact measurements. You can drag the
tab stop off the ruler after getting the position information.