Left aligned numbers in Word TOC

Old December 15th 04, 03:57 AM
David Shennan

Default Left aligned numbers in Word TOC

Is there any way I can reformat a Table of Contents to display the numbers
before the heading text?

For example:
1. Introduction
2. Chapter 1
3. Chapter 2

Old December 16th 04, 10:46 AM
Stefan Blom

There is no built-in way to accomplish what you want. One way is to do
it manually: Bookmark all of your headings and then insert
cross-references to the page number and the text of each bookmark.
Alternatively, you could build the TOC with a macro, but you'll have
to ask in a VBA newsgroup, such as microsoft.public.word.vba.general
to get help with that.

--
Stefan Blom

"David Shennan" David wrote in
message ...

Old December 17th 04, 03:47 PM
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgU2hlbm5hbg==?=,

Is there any way I can reformat a Table of Contents to display the numbers
before the heading text?

For example:
1. Introduction
2. Chapter 1
3. Chapter 2

You can use TC fields to contain the text for the table of contents. That
allows you to generate customized text in the TOC entries.

1. Insert a TC field at the beginning of the paragraph immediately following
a heading.

2. Use an SEQ field to generate the numbering. And a StyleRef field to pick
up the heading's text. It would look a lot like this:

{ TC "{ Seq Hd } { StyleRef "Heading 1" }" }

3. When you insert the TOC, click "Options" and deactivate the entries for
"Styles" and "Outline levels"; activate the one for "Table entry fields".

4. Ctrl+A, F9 a couple of times to make sure all the fields have updated
properly, otherwise the TOC content will probably look a bit odd.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org