Michael Koerner

Default Insert Header Row In Table During Merge

Is it possible when merging into a table, during the merge when the LName field
first character changes from A to B to C...that a new row could be inserted and
formatted so that the output would look similar to the following.

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Adams
Arthur
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Brown
Boxleitner

Or is it something that has to be done manually after the merge is complete?

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Peter Jamieson

As long as you want the output in tabular format, I think you will need some
VBA however you do it, if only to remove empty rows between tables. From

However, if you do not actually need to use table rows, you could do this
sort of thing using a catalog/directory merge. But I don't think you could
do that, then use Table|Convert text to table, unless you were willing to
accept that the rows containing "A", "B" would actually have the same number
of columns as the Adams, Arthur rows.

Peter Jamieson
"Michael Koerner" wrote in message
Is it possible when merging into a table, during the merge when the LName
field
first character changes from A to B to C...that a new row could be
inserted and
formatted so that the output would look similar to the following.

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Adams
Arthur
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Brown
Boxleitner

Or is it something that has to be done manually after the merge is
complete?

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Michael Koerner

Peter, thanks. What I do now, after the merge, scroll through the table. When
the first character of the last name changes, I insert a row, and insert the
upper case character of the names to follow. I don't know VBA so that is out.
This was so simple in WordPerfect. you just entered then code in the merge
parameters.

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

Peter Jamieson

This was so simple in WordPerfect. you just entered then code in the merge
parameters.

Irritating, isn't it?

Quite a lot more things would at least be feasible without VBA if it were
possible to use Find/Replace to remove empty paragraphs between table rows,
but as far as I know even that requires VBA...