Joseph Johnson

Default How to do 100+ page document in two columns

I am writing a long text document in Word 2000 (200+ pages). I want this in
two columns. One for the main narrative and the second for sidenotes relating
to the main narrative. At present I am using a Table of two columns with a
row for each paragraph. This method works but runs into formatting
difficulties which creates a lot of manual work. In particular, I allow rows
to break over a page but then the widow and orphan options no longer seem to
work, which means endless manual adjustments to avoid them. The newspaper
column appproach is no good because that aims to zig zag text up and down the
columns on a page. The text box approach is very tedious for such a long
document. Are there any other solutions?