Chris

Default Correct spelling - English not US.

Can I get a list of English, not US, spellings to add to custom.dic?

If so where?

Or is there another way of making Word use correct spellings for
English users?

garfield-n-odie

You seem to be under the misconception that there is only one
correct variation of English. Word's spellchecker includes the
following English variations:
• English (Australia)
• English (Belize)
• English (Canada)
• English (Caribbean)
• English (Hong Kong SAR)
• English (India)
• English (Indonesia)
• English (Ireland)
• English (Jamaica)
• English (Malaysia)
• English (New Zealand)
• English (Philippines)
• English (Singapore)
• English (South Africa)
• English (Trinidad and Tobago)
• English (U.K.)
• English (U.S.)
• English (Zimbabwe)

You don't say which ethnocentric, narrow-minded, bigoted part of
the world you live in, but you just have to tell Word and Windows
which English variation you wish to use. Of course, you are
always free to add whatever words you wish to your custom
dictionary, whether correct or not, and whether English or not.
And if you don't like Word's spelling of a particular word, then
you can add that spelling to your exclusion dictionary.

Chris wrote:

Can I get a list of English, not US, spellings to add to custom.dic?

If so where?

Or is there another way of making Word use correct spellings for
English users?

Chris

So many conclusions jumped to from such a simple request.

I am aware of adding spellings to custom.dic etc, but rather than
having to train Word I'd prefer to insert a ready made list if such a
list is available.

Anyone know where I can get such a list?

Graham Mayor

If you set the language of the text to that you want to spell check in the
spellings are correct. Those that for some reason you dispute you can add to
an exclusion dictionary. As for custom spellings thewn there are too many
possibilities to have a standard list.
Tools language set language uncheck automatically detect language.

Chris wrote:
So many conclusions jumped to from such a simple request.

I am aware of adding spellings to custom.dic etc, but rather than
having to train Word I'd prefer to insert a ready made list if such a
list is available.

Anyone know where I can get such a list?

Chris

Thanks Graham.

Ant

Whoa! You seem to be under the impression that English is a set of Microsoft
languages! This is the problem with assuming a translation of a language that
is similar to your own. In England, English is the language of the country.
We also talk about American. And Welsh. I want to check spelling for the
language I normally speak here in England. It is almost impossible in Word.
It is so frustrating that I am searching the web for the answer and have
found your message. My simple request is that I can select to check spelling
in 'English' not 'American'. Is that possible?
Antony Pace

Chris wrote:

Can I get a list of English, not US, spellings to add to custom.dic?

If so where?

Or is there another way of making Word use correct spellings for
English users?

Ant

Unfortunately that is only the logical answer. In practice it does not work
and has not worked for the last couple of versions of Word. The American
spellings always take precedence and override the English. It is impossible
to remove the American spelling check and check only for English English of
England.