Elfie

Default Document size 50.7 MB- 36 pages how do we reduce the size. Word 20

Hi, I have users who are working on a document which has grown to enormous
proportions. 50.7 MB on 36 pgs. There are a number of graphics in it.
Because of its size it became extremely unstable, so the document has been
divided. I've passed on to them the posts from other document size issues
which include checking fast save, embed fonts, embeded graphics change to
links etc. They are currently checking the documents against the information
I've forwarded to them.
They would leave the document in parts however in their words "this has
interferred with the Table of Contents and endnotes. Ideally, we would like
this to be one report in one file. Is there another way of formatting this
document so that it won't crash again, but have all the information together.
I did go through the Word manual today and it mentioned creating a "master
document", would this be the way to go?"
Is there something else we should be looking for?
Thank you

There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

6. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

7. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code, the graphic is an OLE object.
Unless you need to be able to edit the object in place, unlink it using
Ctrl+Shift+F9.

8. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

9. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

"Elfie" wrote in message
[...]

Steve Hayes

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:47:02 -0800, "?B?RWxmaWU=?="
wrote:

[...]

You could try saving it as RTF, and then reimporting it into Word.

I've found that that has sometimes reduced file size. Also check for versions
(often a problem when many people are working on a document - each version is
saved).

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm
tweedepoging

Elfie shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

[...]

I don't want to sound as a bore, but in my experience OpenOffice
(http://www.openoffice.org) is usually much more efficient at handling
large documents.
OpenOffice is compatible with MS Office, and it's Free Software (as in
Free Speech), so there is nothing that stands in your way to at least
try it out. In the worst case you loose one hour of your precious time
(I assume you'll work on a copy of your file ;-) In the best case you
have gained a very nice piece of software.

Good luck!