Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul_B Paul_B is offline

Default Navigating among fields in a .doc

Hi,

I'm new again to Word (03), after a few years away. I find myself
creating rather long Word docs and am looking for a way to
navigate in them.

What I've done so far is open every new section (I use the word
'section' generically; these are not Word-defined Sections) with
the Heading 3 para style. Then I create a table of contents which
points to each H3. So far, so good.

I want the ability to rapidly navigate back to the doc's top or
to the previous/subsequent section. I've created a bookmark at
the top of the ToC to serve as the Top reference. Now I need to
know the following:

o how to point, using a field, to the Top bookmark.

o how to point, using a field, to the generic "previous" or
"next" H3 style. Is this possible?

o how to automate this process. Ideally I would have a small
toolbar sort of thing, maybe using arrow icons, that I could
implant with a click at the beginning of each section,
presumably via macro.

o or is there an easier way to do this using Word's actual
Sections?

Thanks for any insight you can give,
p.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2003, you have several ways to accomplish what you want:

1. You can add a GoToTOC button to your toolbar (through Tools | Customize).

2. After clicking a link in the TOC, you can use Alt+Left Arrow to go back
to the link you clicked.

3. You can use the Document Map for navigation.

4. If you click on the Select Browse Object button between the browse arrows
(bottom of the vertical scroll bar) and choose Browse by Heading, the arrows
become Next Heading and Previous Heading.

5. If you insert section breaks, you can set the browse object to Browse by
Section.

"Paul_B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul_B Paul_B is offline

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 23:09:31 -0600, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

In Word 2003, you have several ways to accomplish what you want:

1. You can add a GoToTOC button to your toolbar (through Tools | Customize).

2. After clicking a link in the TOC, you can use Alt+Left Arrow to go back
to the link you clicked.

3. You can use the Document Map for navigation.

4. If you click on the Select Browse Object button between the browse arrows
(bottom of the vertical scroll bar) and choose Browse by Heading, the arrows
become Next Heading and Previous Heading.

5. If you insert section breaks, you can set the browse object to Browse by
Section.

Excellent. Thanks so very much, Suzanne. That GoToTOC, and browse
by section|heading, look like they will do just what I want,
without even adding fields to the doc.

p.