Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yepp

Default TOC picking up other TOC

using Word 2003

The TOC I am using is a RD field option.

There is an Appendix to this document.

Problem: The TOC is picking up the Appendix TOC 3 style.

here is a toggle view of the Main TOC:

{ TOC\O "1-6"\H\Z}

here is a toggle view of appendix TOC:

{ TOC\H\Z\T"HEADING7,1,HEADING8,2,HEADING9,3" }

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi yepp

yepp wrote:
using Word 2003

The TOC I am using is a RD field option.

Just to make sure I understand what you are saying: you generate the TOC
in a document where you reference one (or more?) other documents which
contain the actual headings for this TOC, correct?

There is an Appendix to this document.

As another referenced document, or as actual content?

Problem: The TOC is picking up the Appendix TOC 3 style.

here is a toggle view of the Main TOC:

{ TOC\O "1-6"\H\Z}

here is a toggle view of appendix TOC:

{ TOC\H\Z\T"HEADING7,1,HEADING8,2,HEADING9,3" }

Strange indeed.

farfetched idea /
Has your "TOC 3" style somehow gotten "promoted" to an outline level
instead of body text?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yepp

Robert M. Franz (RMF) wrote:
Hi yepp

yepp wrote:
using Word 2003

The TOC I am using is a RD field option.

Just to make sure I understand what you are saying: you generate the TOC
in a document where you reference one (or more?) other documents which
contain the actual headings for this TOC, correct?

Yes, that is correct.

There is an Appendix to this document.

As another referenced document, or as actual content?

The Appendix is a referenced document.

Problem: The TOC is picking up the Appendix TOC 3 style.

here is a toggle view of the Main TOC:

{ TOC\O "1-6"\H\Z}

here is a toggle view of appendix TOC:

{ TOC\H\Z\T"HEADING7,1,HEADING8,2,HEADING9,3" }

Strange indeed.

farfetched idea /
Has your "TOC 3" style somehow gotten "promoted" to an outline level
instead of body text?

Only one instance of TOC3 is being picked up... none of the others.

I don't know what the problem was. I rearranged my document's TOC to
one inclusive TOC instead of separate for Appendix. That was the only
solution that worked.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

yepp wrote:
[..]
farfetched idea /
Has your "TOC 3" style somehow gotten "promoted" to an outline level
instead of body text?

Only one instance of TOC3 is being picked up... none of the others.

OK, this then rules out my suspicion (unless only one instance has
somehow got "dirty" with direct formatting).

I don't know what the problem was. I rearranged my document's TOC to
one inclusive TOC instead of separate for Appendix. That was the only
solution that worked.

Well, that's probably more reader-friendly in the first place. Glad you
have a working solution, at l(e)ast.

Greetings
Robert
--