Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

Default Word Tutorial-How do I access non-audio version of the tutorial?

How can I access a non-audio version of the Word Tutorial found at:
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC100140951033

I do not want to mute the audio on my computer.

In other words, I cannot find a way to turn off the audio in the Tutorial
without muting the audio on my computer.

Thank you.
Lilly Cagney
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

When I clicked on your link using Netscape, I got a pop-up asking me to
press OK if I wanted audio and Cancel if I did not. I clicked Cancel and got
the tutorial without Audio. This seems to download a "cookie" making it a
permanent setting for the site. On the other hand, when I opened the same
site in IE Explorer I did not get the pop-up. Perhaps Explorer senses the
presence of a sound card and just delivers the sound.

However, I would strongly recommend using the following tutorials which are
written to be read. They do not expect there to be audio:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/index.html (The parts on numbering and
bullets are much better than those on the Microsoft site.)
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Lilly Cagney" wrote in message
How can I access a non-audio version of the Word Tutorial found at:
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC100140951033

I do not want to mute the audio on my computer.

In other words, I cannot find a way to turn off the audio in the Tutorial
without muting the audio on my computer.

Thank you.
Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

Default Word Tutorial-How do I access non-audio version of the tutoria

Thank you. I found the same difference you did between the Netcape Browser
and the Internet Explorer. However, when I try to do the practice section of
the tutorial it says:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Your Web browser does not support ActiveX controls. The practice file could
not be downloaded because your Web browser does not support ActiveX controls.
ActiveX controls are small programs that provide additional features for Web
pages. The Office Online ActiveX control is needed to automatically download
and open the file for this practice session. To solve this problem, we
recommend using Internet Explorer to download practice files"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So I must use IE and, as you say, IE doesn't give me the pop-up choice which
Netscape does, regarding turning the audio off.

I will take a look at your suggested alternatives. Thank you.
Lilly Cagney

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

Hi Suzanne. So we meet again. (g) I went to my control panel for Internet
Options and on the advanced tab, I took out the checkmark from the box for
playing sound on Web pages. But when I tried the Tutorial, the lady was still
there with her sweet voice reading the directions for me. I can't find any
other control panel for the tutorial which has the mute button you mention.
Lilly Cagney

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
There is a Mute button on the control panel for the tutorial. It does not
appear to mute the sound on your computer, just on the tutorial.

"Lilly Cagney" wrote in message
How can I access a non-audio version of the Word Tutorial found at:

http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC100140951033
I do not want to mute the audio on my computer.
In other words, I cannot find a way to turn off the audio in the Tutorial
without muting the audio on my computer.
Thank you.
Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's possible you're seeing the page differently, but when I look at it,
there is a title ("Overview") at the top. Beneath that is a paragraph
beginning "Learn the basics of Microsoft Office Word." To the right of that
is a bar that looks like the controls of a VCR or Windows Media Player, with
a large Play/Pause button, a Stop button, and a button with a speaker icon
on it that displays Mute on mouseover (with a volume control to the right).
If you click that button, the sound is muted for just that Web page, not for
the rest of Windows. If I click Next, the next page has the same set of
controls at the top.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
There is a Mute button on the control panel for the tutorial. It does

not
appear to mute the sound on your computer, just on the tutorial.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Lilly Cagney" wrote in message
How can I access a non-audio version of the Word Tutorial found at:

http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC100140951033
I do not want to mute the audio on my computer.
In other words, I cannot find a way to turn off the audio in the

Tutorial
without muting the audio on my computer.
Thank you.
Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

Hi Suzanne - I finally found the bar with the mute button! Hurray! On my
screen the "VCR-type" contol bar is located just above the text which the
lady reads to us. I tend to ignore icons which have no words next to them.
I'm still not used to hovering over an icon to see what it's for. So the
mute button was right in front of me all the time! I can't believe it! Live
and learn. My 72 year old brain-paths aren't as modernly configured as
younger folks' brain-paths. (lol) I am trying to build new brain-paths. It's
a gradual procedure and takes time and practice. Thanks so much for hanging
in there with me while I figured it out. I guess it takes tenacity for both
the learner *and* the teacher to find answers to problems. (g)
Gratefully,
Lilly Cagney

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
There is a Mute button on the control panel for the tutorial. It does

not appear to mute the sound on your computer, just on the tutorial.

"Lilly Cagney" wrote in message
How can I access a non-audio version of the Word Tutorial found at:

http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC100140951033
I do not want to mute the audio on my computer.
In other words, I cannot find a way to turn off the audio in the

Tutorial without muting the audio on my computer.
Thank you.
Lilly Cagney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lilly Cagney

PS-This is an addendum to the message I posted a few minutes ago. To see the
screen with the mute button on the bar which I referred to, go to:
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RP100140091033

It's so nice to be able to make that lady stop talking! (lol) I guess you'd
say I'm visually oriented. Hearing her talk, interrupts my thinking processes.

Lilly Cagney