Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tucson mom

Default Can I get rid of a macros virus?

I cut and pasted a document from the internet that apparently had the macros
virus. I didn't know what that was and so I went ahead and opened it in
word. A couple days later that document was ruined and so I read up about
the macros virus and realized that it could affect all of my word documents.
Can I get rid of this virus before it hurts anything else? How can I get rid
of it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

It depends what it infected, and you need to know what it is to do that.
Might be a good time to buy a anti-virus program, and run it. You could try
the Symantec website: they have a directory of viruses, and the fixes.

If it's a simple one, deleting normal.dot might fix the problem; but they
are mostly not so simple. Can you remember the website address?

"Tucson mom" Tucson wrote in message
I cut and pasted a document from the internet that apparently had the
macros
virus. I didn't know what that was and so I went ahead and opened it in
word. A couple days later that document was ruined and so I read up about
the macros virus and realized that it could affect all of my word
documents.
Can I get rid of this virus before it hurts anything else? How can I get
rid
of it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If you cut and pasted the contents of an on-screen document, the likelihood
is that you did not collect a virus from this action. It is more likely that
the document is corrupt. http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm
However, if you are working on the internet without suitable anti-virus
measures in place, you are being reckless and virus attack may have arrived
from another source.