Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jackie D

Default line & paragraph spacing in Word

Hi

My query might seem basic to you Word experts but I am new to Formatting
Styles, so please bear with me!

I've been reading 'Word Templates: A Guide to their Creation' by John
McGhie, which I have found incredibly useful. But I'm a bit confused about
his suggestions for spacing text under Format StylesModifyParagraph.

I have no trouble understanding spacing above and below headings but I have
come unstuck with the spacing suggestions when it applies to body text.

John suggests putting no space above and 9 pts below for Book Antiqua 12pt
body text. Does this mean the space below a block of text (i.e. a paragraph)
or is it referring to the space between the lines?

John also suggests setting "the space above each body text para to three
quarters of its line height" for a modern looking document. I'm a bit
confused by this also. Is he contradicting the idea of no space above? Or is
he making a new suggestion entirely? I can't tell. And, sorry if I'm being
dumb, but how do I know what the line height is? Is it equal to the point
size of the text?

I'd really appreciate it if John McGhie could post a reply!
--

Many thanks
Jackie D